Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to Find Help for Renovation

Posted by cpboyce 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 17:03

My garden is a mess. I began it from scratch when we built the house in 1997 and after a few years of neglect (health reasons and other circumstances) it has become an overwhelming renovation project. I have over 50 old garden roses in beds that cover the small city lot sized property. There is no lawn. I have gravel paths between the beds. My husband and I are determined to get it back into some semblance of order, but it has gone beyond what we two can do alone.
Can anyone recommend a good gardener helper or service in the Olympia WA area?

C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to Find Help for Renovation

You could also ask the secretary of your local garden club if they know of anyone who can tackle a recovery project. Or ask any neighbours who you know have help in the yard.

As someone who does this work here - it really helps if you have clear ideas in mind for any changes, and a realistic appreciation of how long some work can take. It's NOT the same as having someone come by to cut the grass and edges, and do a little pruning work. It has to be someone you're comfortable talking with, and who you feel understands your intention for the garden and your ongoing needs there.

If you don't mind having chemicals used in the yard (eg weedkillers) then some of the clean-up can be fairly quickly done. If you prefer there to be no chemicals, then weeding gravel can be a long hard slog for very little to show for the time put in.

Be prepared to buy in more gravel to top up the paths to cover any bare patches. Or convert the key paths to attractive concrete and leave the secondary paths in gravel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here