Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spectre_gw

Just Want To Speak Off-Tropic For a Moment

spectre
20 years ago

Hello All:

Since I'm the lone representative in the tropical/subtropical department of the Garden Restoration forum, I thought I'd ask a few questions to my fellow posters, most of whom are in more temperate climes being smothered by snow and ice at the moment. This came up in the Tropicals Forum with regards to plants.

Basically my questions are these: when you hear the words "tropical garden," what do you conjure up? Oversized plants that have turned into triffids and are taking over? Is it lush greenery run amok that turns to brown mush when temperatures hit 50F? Is it a garden with guavas, mangoes, and bananas instead of apples, pears, and cherries? Or is it a garden of pristine beauty, swaying palm fronds and exotic blooms with hints of the aroma of frangipani and cinnamon in the air?

An additional thought . . .for those of you who've been fortunate enough to travel to a subtropical climate (south and central Florida or southern California) or tropical one (Hawaii or Puerto Rico), do the gardens meet your preconceptions and why? And lastly, what do you like about them and what do you dislike?

Obviously, every question need not be answered, but I wanted to give you some points to consider in your replies. Let the discussions commence and ahead warp factor 6.

Aloha,

spectre

Comments (21)

• Cady
    20 years ago

I think of a botanically diverse, lush garden that never dies. And, species that flower at random intervals, not always predictible, to keep the excitement of discovery going.

What I see for the plantings depends on whether I'm going for a "New World" or "Old World" look, or creating a fantasyland of textures, shapes, scents and colors that is not region-specific, but which draws from the best the tropic zone offers all around the world.

But, I'd definitely want a mix of foliage, flowers and fruits.

• venezuela
    20 years ago

Hey spectre, you haven't lost me yet, it is just that there was nothing I could comment on when the pruning thread turned into a commentary on memories of TV shows that I barely remember. Not that I didn't see them, I just do not remember them clearly like so many of you guys do. I think I was off singing in a choir.

So, now to what you just asked which I also commented on, on the tropical thread. I grew up thinking that the tropics was colorful like Hawaiian shirts , Mexican, Guatemalan, Peruvian traditional indian clothing, or bright African cloth patterns and full of sweet scents and warm breezes with swaying palm trees. I found out that in the rainforests and cloud forests there is little color other than green and that the grassy hills and plains turn brown just like in California. Tropical flowering trees mostly loose their leaves for months at a time and are bare when they flower. The foothills around here are deciduous forest that are dry and brown for 5 months. So any "tropical" garden around here would not be a reflection of the surrounding tropics. Maybe for fun I should post photos of gardens down here and let people vote on if they are "tropical" or not. chris

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

If we all spoke off topic at the same time do you realize what would happen to this forum ??

It's OK just don't post your picture anymore ... my wife says it's not really you .. I can't believe that.

"Tropical Gardens " ... Black Rum ... a pool ... a economical buffet ... In Hawaii ... I could do without the humidity and a major hangover and small bugs that munched on my calfs leaving itchy bumps..... I forgot what they are called I've been away from the coast for so long ... Mosq something or other ....

Visited several gardens in Hawaii ( Kauai )... found out most of the natives 90 % are dead / extinct from the Island ... I was a hundred years or so too late ... the gardens were great coming from the desert .... in the desert you get to look at each plant in the tropics everything is mixed up in a bunch .....you have to sort more .... I liked the water .. Ocean and gardens ... waterfalls and gardens ... Fog and rain .. I loved that ... rivers palms fog and rain ... my only preconception ... I did not expect to see so many people and Walmarts .... took 1500 photographs have two hanging on my wall at a cost of $2,000 each ... hmm I think $$$$ when I think tropical too....

Good Day ...

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

Chris ,

Bet you have come very interesting cactus down there !!

Good Day .....

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

To tell the truth, I have not thought much about this. I do have one client who allows me to make a tropicalesque border by her pool each year. I love doing this and get to play with plants that I usually don't use, the bigger the better, lots of color shocks in both bloom and foliage, several vines, big "houseplants" from Home Depot - it is wild and one of the most vibrant plantings I do each season.
    But it is an over the top type of "tropical" look that is no doubt an overdone stereotype - but it works by the pool in NH for 3 months of intense exotic beauty!
    In terms of real world tropical gardens: I am always disappointed at the sparse and unimaginative home gardens in Florida - we do much more gardening up here in the North - more color,too, it seems. I love the orange trees, Spanish moss, little skinks or quick running lizards, pecans, fern plantations, live oaks with mistletoe spheres,and the grazing cows of Central Florida. That's the landscape tho', not the garden.

Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands: more tropical plantings to my way of thinking - more wild and lush, lots of flowers and vines everywhere, exotic flowering trees, brighter birds, butterflies, snakes,and lizards. Bigger sized plants and foliage. Courtyards or enclosed gardens. Lots of rain, steam, drizzle, mists; you can often "see" the air in the garden.

I automatically think of birds and animals when I think of tropical gardens but not when I think of temperate gardens.
    Just figured that out . . .

I like what Cady wrote: "A garden that never dies."

And that's it for my ramblings on a subject I know nothing about, spectre . . .

Ginger

• spectre
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Mohave Kid (or may I call you Mojo, baby!):

"If we all spoke off topic at the same time do you realize what would happen to this forum ??"color>

It was off-tropic, a play on words that I thought of all people, you'd appreciate. Having said that, if we all spoke off topic, we'd get a thread like "Pruning Recommendations," which was pretty damned funny.

Because you were so gracious with your praise of my first picture and liked it so much, I'd thought I'd post another one, just for you, Mohave.

{{gwi:1186188}}

Good day, Mohave. (or is it Paul Harvey?)

spectre

• spectre
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ginger:

For not knowing about the tropical gardens, you had many intelligent and accurate thoughts on the subject. Love to read what you post after spending more time with tropical garden nuts like myself and Venezuela.

spectre

• mdvadenoforegon
    20 years ago

First image in mind is plants with larger leaves, tender.

Thick organic layer on ground.

Green.

I think of the foliage much more so than flowers.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

Ohhh my head hurts ...

From what I understand Native vegatation in Hawaii is known for small flowers not big .... I'll try to post a shot in the gallery ...

Good Day ..... all in jest spectre ... I know you understand.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

My tropical contribution is now in the gallery .

Good Day ...

• spectre
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hey Mohave:

I knew that, Mohave. I've lurked in the LD forum long enough to know about your sharp wit, so if I'm going stay in the same forum with you, I have to be ready to fire back.

Now, if I looked like Dr. Evil, I'd really be offended.

spectre

• spectre
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Mohave:

I just saw your nice pic in the gallery. Brighamia insignis is dependent on scientists for survival. This is the plant that you may have seen on PBS or Discovery that requires people to rapell down the Na Pali cliffs on Kauai to pollinate. The original pollinator (and the only bird that pollinates it naturally) is believed extinct.

I have three in my garden, along with two smaller Brighamia rockii from Molokai.

spectre

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Mohave-
    Stunning photo

Spectre-
    Rapelling down cliffs for pollination as pollinator is extinct - risking one's life for a flower(I saw the PBS show last month) - wins forum's "for restoration of native habitat best effort" award!

• mjsee
    20 years ago

I think of many shades of green, with the sun coming through them, but also the occasional BRIGHT flower--and fantastical shapes--orchids--heat--humidity (which I LIKE--we all know I'm weird) SCENT--of damp earth, moving water--flowers. And birds and butterflies. Of course, my view of hte tropics is formed by movies and the tropical butterfly/bird conservatories I have visited. I don't get out much--still own a virgin passport!

melanie

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

Wow ... BOTH species in your garden ... "Just" growing in your garden ...

HAIL to you Spectre .... amazing.

Thanks Ginger for the compliment ...

Good Day ...

• venezuela
    20 years ago

Spectre, How is it that you did not point out to me these two plants in your garden when I visited. I guess I will have to go back for another visit. By the way, thats a nice picture of you with the shaved head. chris

• catkim
    20 years ago

Tropical brings to mind more than one mental landscape. I can see dense foliage climbing vertical walls, ferns, variegated and colored foliage, large thick leaves, with the sound of trickling water and tiny frogs, giving way to tall grasses lining a still river as in a tropical canyon, graceful white birds with long v-shaped tails swooping in to eat and drink. I can also see the uniform 40-ft high trees loaded with vines making a dense canopy of life for strange and colorful birds, butterflies, and insects as in the jungles of Yucatan. I can also see short lumpy grass and low leafy mounds edging pale sand, then dark sand where the ocean spills and retreats, intersected by outcroppings of black volcanic rock, and tall vivid green punk-haircut palms leaning outward toward the waves, and the smell of plumeria in the air. Yes, one more Mai Tai, please, thank you.

• keaau
    20 years ago

I am reminded of something a woman in Costa Rica told me....about taking her 7 year old to the US. Seems they went thru the plant dept. in Walmart and her son asked: "Mom, why do they sell weeds here?"

Connie

• Cady
    20 years ago

Bwahahahaha!!! That was great, Connie. :)

• Flowerkitty
    20 years ago

The closest I have been to tropic is hermosa beach calif, and a couple days in Jacksonville just ahead of a hurricane. To a miserable cold Michigander California had something fabulous: fluffy dark red porous soil. When it rained the rain went in like a sieve. Michigan soil by contrast (except for the sandy sites) makes a heavy dark mud when it rains. It holds the water in dirty puddles. Water gorged earthworms coating the sidewalks after a summer rain are childhood memories. Calif and Florida dirt seems light and fresh. Also the succulents. So many plants had thicker leaves or waxy flowers giving a richness. Florida had a scent - spicy-musty that might have come from all the mulch used. My imaginary tropics is defined by a warm and somewhat humid air, plant scents, and especially birds, parrots and exotics with louder calls and brilliant colors. The nights are not cold (like california). There would naturally be more water: waterfalls, streams, ponds, fountains. A palm tree or two would not hurt but aren't required. I think of flowers colored white, pink, red more than yellow, orange. Funny that in Michigan I find plantings with white blossoms cold looking, but in a tropical setting I would find them rich and warm looking. Wouldn't expect to see a field of blue flowers in the tropics.

• tessasdca
    20 years ago

My ideal of a tropical garden is more that of my childhood years in Kailua/Kaneohe. My current zone is not so far removed, but the moisture makes ALL the difference in the way I garden. The windward side of Oahu allows those thick, giant leaves, those pendant, dripping vines. I may have some of those, but only in select semi-shaded areas. I love gardening here. I've lived in every corner of this country and you see where I decided to settle, but I don't think of it as 'tropical gardening'. Let's call it Tropical-Mediterranean. The main aspect key to both in my vision is that cloudless azure sky. I do relish the luxury of having more than a few species grren and blooming 52 weeks a year. That's bliss. Oh, yeah, and the avocados, lemons and pineapple guavas are a plus, I guess. But tropical? That's Jamiaca, mon.
    Tess

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions