Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momcat2000_gw

projects for 2006

momcat2000
18 years ago

anyone have any neat projrcts for 2006?

i'm going to try to stencil a brick patio on my blacktop driveway to establish a sitting area away from the house next to the "historic" basketball court (just kidding about the historic part, but it will be history after all the boys move out someday)

I'm going to try to establish creeping jenny and sweet woodruff in a dry shady area. i have alot of this in another part of the yard so i can keep the cost down by transplanting.

i'm still deciding if i want to dig a fire pit or not.

Comments (7)

• tibs
    18 years ago

My plans for 2006 will not be too grandious because we have just finished re-wiring and replumbing and replacing our bathroom. So my garden money will be imited. My little fountain spring a leak last year and burned up the moter. I would like to come up with something else for a water feature. Wanted to use the old bathtub sunk in the ground (it was NOT clawfoot) but the contractor told me we had romoved it just in time it was rusnting thru. That made the dh happy, he did not want to get involved in setting that heavy tub.

So some type of water feature if I can find the right materials at the right price. This will probalby be a 2007 project becaue I have yet to come up with anything I like.

Relocating some Deutzia that are not dwarf like I thought but the big boys. Don't know if it will work, they have been in the ground for probably 40 years. Finish ripping out the sun perienial bed to turn into the veggie bed. Oh yeah, painting the back fence and the little deck off our 2nd floor. And the front porch should be painted again while it doesn't need much prepping. I am the world's worse painter.

• csrliz
    18 years ago

I plan on making a grden in this spot:

Inside the fenced area. I already have some "garden junk" to incorporate into it, just waiting for the weather.........

• momcat2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i've deceided not to do the fire pit.
    the transplanted ground cover is doing great. Park's had a great sale so i ordered some mother of thyme.
    i'm finally putting a pile of old dishes and tiles to good use by making mosaic stepping stones.
    i've split and given away tons of purple cone flower.
    wayside gardens got me for over $100 on their rose sale - planted 24 rose bushes.
    found a spot for a 'nikko blue' that my husband gave me for our anniversary.
    helping a friend design the plantings at her 1925 bungalow.
    might stencil a driveway area this weekend if it doesn't rain
    set up the front porch with a radio, lamp and a canopy bug screen over the glider.
    digging up black eye susans from the lot (the city gave up maintaining it a couple years ago)down the street, transplanting them in my yard.
    planted tomatoes, beans and eggplant in the old sandbox
    i used to get 'this old yard' together by memorial day, but it seems the last few years, i've still been doing clean up into june.

• ginny12
    17 years ago

So how about some reports about how these projects are going? Would be fun to have updates!

• tibs
    17 years ago

Well, I did do a new water feature. I wanted a rectangular pool, formal setting and of course nothing comes preformed in that shape or size and putting a concrete pond in would mean it was PERMANENT and what if I changed my mind and the dh would have to be involved. I got an ovel 106 gal about 28' deep plastic water trough. Buried it and edged it with old cast stone pavers in a rectangular shape. Don't stand on the short ends, it will dump you in the pond. Right now it has a bubbler. I am looking for a cast stone spitter, and can't find anything that seems "right" and doesn't cost more than my first car. Am toying with the idea of copper piping some how, but haven't come up with anything, I have a decorated 6" diameter 2' long clay sewer pipe that I thought could spill into the pond but alas, that is what it looks like, a sewer pipe.

The sun perrenial bed is staying. It looks so good with a bundh of stuff removed. Voids are good and give depth I discovered. Of course now I am looking for something for July august interest. Was almost tempted into true lillies but just don't like the foliage.

Got one side of the fence painted, will wait for the ditch lillies on the alley side to finish blooming before I paint the other side.

Transplanted the asparagus to back of the garage. The dd is praying that none of it survives, and have tomatos and peppers where the asparagas was. As we are now getting into the high humity high heat I am probably done until fall.

• ginny12
    17 years ago

Wow. Good for you. That's a lot to get done and we are hardly past the Fourth of July. Sounds really nice.

• momcat2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"what if i changed my mind and DH would have to be involved" I try to stay away from garden projects that involve my husband if and at all possible. heaven forbid if i ask him to help with a garden project on a sunday afternoon during Nascar season(!)
    My mosaic stepping stones turned out very nice, but i'm not done yet because now all my friends want one.
    you wouldn't believe how many hosta starts you can get out of one large clump. i'm potting them and giving them away "take my hostas, please!"
    we have a farmers market about 2 blocks away every month during the summer and i might try to sell some next year. i've already given away about 40 pots and i'm still not done splitting.
    still haven't stenciled the driveway but it will be done because i have already bought the paint and i'm too cheep to let it go to waste.
    i am so anal that i have a project for next spring already. i'm going to reclaim some hard to cut/maintain grassy area but i don't know what i'm going to plant there yet. probably some "passalongs" or freebies.