Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy5050_gw

Agood site to view

Nancy5050
20 years ago

If anyone here is into rock hardscaping and landscaping a good site to view is Kootenay Stone Centre---goto --http://www.naturalstonesite.com/

Comments (5)

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

Nancy it has been interesting to see all that you share, especially your own creativity. Thanks. EP

• Nancy5050
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks so much Enchantedplace,again may I reiterate that my incomplete project ,will never reach the splendor of all you and your Dh have achieved with your extensive rock hardscape-still I can dream,sometimes the spirit soars even when the body drags .most of my work has been done with a lot of help ,from a 4 year old grandson=who turned 5 and started kindergarden-he hauled most of the rock,for me -even the big ones,and also helped with some of the cement work,and ideals .Hes mothers folks have built rock houses and ect around these parts for several generations,guess he got it from the other side of his genes-because his dad -my son has trouble sticking 2 rocks together with cement.He says we really must hurry up and finish the patio as he hopes to have his marriage[wedding ]done there-I realized I was slow moving ,but I think we should be finished well ahead of then,He already says the next project we should do is build a castle,I told him I didnt think I would live long enough to tackle anything of that magnatude and he said Well if you helped me start it I would finish it.But I ve got lots of paths and ect I would like to tackle before starting something like that.I have a back problem due to a work injury ,that prevents me from standing very long at a time-so most of my work on it has been done laying down on an exercise mat.I do all my gardens or maybe I should say flower bed the same way-as I still can get back up from down

• ZephirineD
    20 years ago

Oh, Nancy, your grandson sounds like an absolute joy! What a child!

You know, you will HAVE to get the patio done soon with motivation like that. That little trooper will make darn sure you DO get your "folly" -- his "castle" -- finished before he's too old to enjoy playing in it.

It doesn't have to be a big castle, does it?

Love,

Claudia

P.S. ... And if you aren't up to helping him make a little castle, invite me to visit! I'll make sure the sweetheart has a castle worth playing "knights of the Round Table" in!

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

Nancy, the terrain is very rocky here, as it is in parts of Arkansas. The upper terrace walls were already here when we came but we have added more, plus steps and switchback paths. Much of what is now our garden spaces was filled with periwinkle, crown vetch, and grass. We've hauled in a lot of soil and rock for continued construction and got rid of the unwanted growth with smothering, and removing. Some of the older structures in our area are built of rock. One done by an architect, a Mr. Love, burned to the ground a few years ago but some of the rock walls are still standing. When we came here 18 years ago that house was like a story book home with garden. It would be beautiful again if someone would build a garden around the ruins. We were told Mr. Love also designed the chapel at John Brown University at Siloam Springs, AR but when we went there construction was going on so we didn't get to see the chapel. I agree that rock structures remind us of castles and you seem to have the prince to go with the castle. EP

• ZephirineD
    20 years ago

I fell asleep last night thinking of a "castle" folly for my own yard. We have lots of large rocks that were hauled in long ago (I think) for paving or garden borders -- quite enough for a one-room castle structure, anyway!

... And I was wondering what I'd do with all of them. It would be so cool to have a folly in a corner of the yard...

Nancy, I was also completely, totally serious about helping to build a castle folly on your property. What an adventure it would be for me! Your grandson sounds like a precious and rare boy, and I'd be delighted to help make just one of his dreams come true -- but you'd have to feed me for the couple of weeks it would take, give me a dry spot on the floor for my sleeping bag, and show me a place in the yard where I'm welcome to enjoy my tobacco in the evenings.

And if you're willing to do all that, I'll somehow convince my husband to do without me for a few weeks this summer!

By the way, I'm sure your grandson's serious about wanting to get married soon. I'll bet he's met a little girl with curly, strawberry-blonde hair in kindergarten!

Love and chuckles,

Claudia

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions