Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nally

completely new at this, need help.

annie_nally
14 years ago

I just moved into a new house and it looks like there was once a flower garden (I don't know how long ago) around the front of the house. There are dead overgrown perennials laying all over the place. What should I do with them? Should I try to pull everything up from the roots and start over? I just have no idea where to begin.

Comments (3)

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

I wouldn't do anything rash.... There might be some things in there that you really like. What looks dead and overgrown now may be really pretty come June.

Leave any shrubs or rose bushes alone for now, but go ahead and cut back all the dead perennials and clear out the debris. You'll feel less panicked if it is neater, and less of a jungle.

Then just wait a while, and see what happens.

Before you cut it back, if you can send a series of photos of your dead jungle, maybe to the 'Name That Plant' forum here, we might be able to give you some clues to some of the plants that might just be coming back. It's sometimes easier to id things from the old dead flower stalks etc than from the new little growth in the spring.

Linda

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Annie- What part of the state are you in and what's your zone? Linda's given you some good advice. It would be best to wait and see what comes up in your garden this spring. Once the plants start coming up, you can decide if you want to keep them, move them to another area, or give them to another gardener. Most gardeners like to share plants and you might find someone who will trade you for plants you do like :)

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do with this area? Do you want a perennial bed, or do you picture veggies and herbs mixed in with flowers, or maybe a rose garden, or something low maintenance like a few shrubs? This is a good time to look through books and magazines...and the internet, for great garden inspiration.

• brandonswisher
    14 years ago

Get a tarp. Once everything has sprung up (spring or early fall), remove the plants keeping enough soil around the roots and lay them out on the tarp. Once you have the plants on the tarp, and a clean slate in the garden, you can redesign the madness into a layout that you like! Smooth out the garden (filling in the holes with dirt) and play around with where you want to replant the plants. Lay them in place, stand back and look at it, and then plant them when it looks good :) This is what I always do. Just remember tallest plants in the back! Have fun!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions