Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phdnc

Restoration of Faith

phdnc
20 years ago

To Fellow Members:

In a recent and current thread More pet peeves one of our members expressed deep concern regarding the fact that they recieved questionable (at best) e-mails after being contacted by another member. I was appalled at the callousness of some people. I continued to read the post and started to get a "sick in the gut" feeling that this member may have been writing about me!! The reason being, I had recently sent her an e-mail ( during the time in question) asking about certain plants on her list and had recieved no response. After reading her post I e-mailed my self from my Hot Mail account to another account and to my horror I started getting all types of junk mail being sent directly to my account bypassing my junk filters. I had no clue!!!Hmmmmmmmmm. Not good.

According to my sister and brother- in- law ( computer programers) after doing a thorough scan of my computer via added software I was the victim of spyware/addware(?) three of which were attached to my e-mail accounts. Measures have been taken to ensure this not happening again.

My naivete in regards to computer security may have inadvertently victimized others and if this is the case I am truly truly sorry. I know you folks don't know me from Adam but enough "meaness" has happened in my life, there is no way I would intentionally inflict it on others.

Perry

Comments (18)

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

You have taken a leap of faith in courageously posting this infomation, Perry, rather than just letting it go by the boards(no pun intended). As in your other posts,only honesty and good will come forth in your words. I hope the person you refer to reads this and is relieved of her burden of worry and of feeling victimized.

This is also a good lesson for all or most of us - that things are often not what they seem at first glance. And once in a while situations turn out better than we expected rather than worse.
    Ginger

• inkognito
    20 years ago

perry: have a look at my thread at the old place (landscape design) "who are you to tell me what to do?" To cut a long story short it is about respect, you know, Aretha Franklin spelled it for us. sabi says that respect is earned and doesn't just arrive with the territory. How do you earn respect here?
    In the past you have exposed your expertise and your lack of, with an equal spirit, which is an attitude deserving of respect.
    Viruses and the like are not necessarily the work of an evil mind with victims and culprits, it is the price we pay for exposing ourselves.
    I get more useless than useful traffic in my mailbox by a hundredfold so far there is nothing to be done. When I looked at someones' design plan last week here on gw I was hit with worms and goblins of all sorts but the poster was not responsible.
    Keep on trucking perry: you are not to blame.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Perry--it happens. I run Lavasoft's AdAware pretty much daily--that helps A LOT. You can download it---I'll include a link. Who loves ya,baby? Well, ME for one! If you find the page confusing--e-mail me. I'll try to be of help.

Besides--we tarheels gotta support one another!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavasoft USA's homepage

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

Haven't read the pet peeves thread so I'm in the dark about that but just came back from a trip and my mailbox was stuffed (over 125) with emails and various spam as well as one email from a long lost garden webber friend Monte, and he said an email was sent to him by me but that the message was empty. ! !
    Not only did I not send an e-mail to Monte aka 'Professor Beefcakes', but I wasn't even in the office to operate my computer.

I think some arsewhole has either trolled someones email account and stole our addresses or has used the garden web as a source of harvesting addresses.

• phdnc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm dirty, tired, sore, and my face is red; and, every damn weed in the garden is dead.
    Mike Garofalo, Pulling Onions: The Maxims of Gardens

Thanks one and all for the words of encouragment. Mel thanks for the site. We truly have a special group on the Garden Web.
    P

• Cady
    20 years ago

Perry,
    Don't let the worms get you down! You are one of the gems of GardenWeb, and I doubt anyone would hold you responsible for the work of cyber varmints beyond your (and our firewalls') control. :)

• mjsee
    20 years ago

DO NOT get me started on pulling onions. did that for HOURS over the weekend. I HAVE developed a good technique--stick trowel in soil, angle under %$#@&^% onion, pry up just enough to loosen dirt, pull out said onions.

They are almost as bad as oak seedlings...worse, maybe. If you don't get all of the oak seedling root, it still dies. ONIONS, howsomever...

melanie

• inkognito
    20 years ago

Whilst we are high on restoration of faith: "howsomever"?
    I feel let down and in need of faith restoration.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

What, I can't play with the language?

melanie

• Cady
    20 years ago

Hey, Inkognito, ease up or we'll haul out "Anyhoo..." and "Irregardless"! :^O

heh heh

• spectre
    20 years ago

Perry:

I took a lot of sack to do write what you did and I know that, based on my limited interaction with you, that you shouldn't beat yourself up over this. As Cady says, you're one the gems here.

I truly hope that the person in question reads this and realizes that no malice was intended and decides to give GW another chance.

spectre

• phdnc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The next thang you know Mel, INK will be pickin' on us about "Ya'll"!!! OOOOOH the humanity.
    8>P

• inkognito
    20 years ago

Strange you all should say that phud because I apprehended an "irregardless" just this week and I read my least fav, "alternate" (for alternative) in a leaned publication. I thought miss mel was meant to protect us from such aberrations.
    I am joking in case any one takes exception and if any one takes exception to misuse of the language (playing is good) as I do you will find a little book called "Eats, shoots and leaves" of interest.
    Just in case this is considered off topic we need accurate words to accurately describe a restoration.
    There, I think I covered everything.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

INK--you mean you didn't know that the rules apply to everyone EXCEPT me? GOODNESS! I knew you were playing--and OT is OK--now and again.

Perry, love, don't MAKE me go into the proper contraction of "y'all" again.

melanie

• phdnc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well Mel, all I can say in reply, is a good ol' southern "Yes M'am!"
    I will be more curfull in the future!
    P

INK ....playing is good.

• nandina
    20 years ago

Ya'll just haven't been looking for the definition of 'irregardless' in the right dictionary. A perfectly acceptable (?) word meaning....no troops on the shores of Lake Erie.

• inkognito
    20 years ago

No, Nandina that is no troops on the Irish border and it' s spelled IRAgardless.
    I hope all this silliness is making you feel better perry and not worse!

• phdnc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Kind of hard to tell with bantering like that!!!!!
    LOL