Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walking path through garden

Posted by drbay Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 16:26

Currently, my vegetable garden is centered on a terrace, bordered to the east and west by retaining walls. To access the rest of the yard, the only walk-way through the garden was a two-foot wide strip of grass, bordering the retaining wall with an eight-foot drop. You guessed it- last year while mowing, my husband fell off the wall and broke his arm. I am now in the process of constructing a walk-way through the center of the garden (bordered on the east by established asparagus and strawberry beds.) What suggestions would you have for the walk-way, which will be about 25 feet? We'll be pushing a mower through it so mulch probably isn't practical.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walking path through garden

Mulch, and place "rails" in it for the mower - something hard like concrete pavers or 2x5 lumber (treated) placed far enough apart for the wheels of the mower to roll on.

o
RE: Walking path through garden

When I was setting up my vegetable garden, I started with the round bare patch made by my former above-ground pool. We had the pool when the kids were young, they had lots of fun but no one used the pool for two summers so we took it down. Left with a bare circle, I decided to make a veggie garden. Started one spring by having it completely roto-tilled. Then I found large pieces of linoleum a neighbor was throwing away. Laid them out across the diameter of the circle, breaking the garden into two halves. Then placed a few bricks to hold the pieces of linoleum down. I now had access from the outside of the circle and from the center path. This has worked well for me for about ten years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here