Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

You should have seen

inkognito
20 years ago

Today I was called in to restore a landscape that never was any good in the first place. In commercial terms it is probably a good deal. Was it Henry Ford responsible (or another word) inbuilt obsolescence?

Comments (12)

• Barbara_Schwarz
    20 years ago

Oh boy...how are you planning to work around the issues? Are the clients insistant on absolute historical accuracy or can you keep the flavor and make it something special with your skills?

Barbara

• Cady
    20 years ago

If they are antiques collectors, you can use the analogy that "Junk is junk. Just because junk is old, doesn't make it an antique. It's just old junk!"

• kategardens
    20 years ago

This is an interesting dilemna, please do tell us more when you have a chance. Kate

• inkognito
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This is a large condo complex down town. Whoever did the original landscape design twenty or thirty years ago did very well with the trees but then his imagination let him down and the understory planting is awful. One thing that seems to have passed him by is the shade created by the trees which form a complete canopy now. Add to this several years of non (even anti) horticultural maintenence and it is not a pretty sight. Dead shrubs have been replaced almost willy nilly with similarly inappropriate shrubs and so there is a complete mishmash of sizes varieties and so on and only the trees prevent it from looking like a four letter word . My brief was to do more of the same in a cost cutting exercise. What I am now attempting is to convince them that this is not the most cost effective way to go.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

Just back from a 5 day whirlwind horticultural tour inwhich a condominium complex was on the itinerary. ... A condo complex on a horticultural tour ??? how good could this be ?

one word : WOWZA !

It was an old Spanish styled condo complex that was liberated of its original boring plantings (except for some lovely old established palm trees) and small cramped uninviting spaces and resculpted into a lovely open courtyard(s) complex.

The spaces flowed effortlessly and beautifully, Lots of container plantings and inground planting compositions, many niches for various fountains both large and public and small and intimate.
    A large communal space with a fountain , comfortable furniture, a built in fireplace and lush plantings.
    Lots of smaller planting niches as well as private garden spaces for the individual condo owner.

The owner of the complex, Boyd Willat, gave us a tour and explained the condo's transformation.
    Even though there are less rental units per sq. foot in his complex verses the other condos in the area he still makes more money on his investment due to the desirability of the complex , due in part to the planting and planning of the spaces.
    Point in case, if he was to sell his complex that has about a dozen units ( a guess at the actual amount of units ) and his neighbor was to sell his higher density complex with twice the amount of units, Mr. Boyd would fetch more money for his investment because of the beauty and flair that he infused into his investment.

This was restoration at its very best ! - both financially and aesthetically.

InkCognito, will send you some photos if you would like to see 'em.

Michelle

It was no wonder that this complex in Hollywood called the 7 Fountains has won numerous architectural and horticultural awards.

• ginny12
    20 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Would love to see photos if there is a link or if you can post any. Thanks for letting us know.

• John_D
    20 years ago

Mich:
    That sounds exciting. Will you post photos, please?

• Barbara_Schwarz
    20 years ago

Where in Hollywood!!!!??? I'm right there, here, in Hollywood, I'm so excited I can't type! Can you give me an address? I'd love to see it. I can always give them a call if they don't let the masses in...oh and don't tell me it's in Hollywood, Florida...puhleese...

Barbara

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

I'll try to link up some photos when I get a chance to upload to a photo hosting site , in the mean time Barbara you can be wowed by the exterior water fountain rill that is located outside of the gated compound located at 1414 N. Harper Ave in Hollywood Ca. ( look at the stucco wall, then note that it is not only a wall but a water feature that runs water along the top of the wall and spills into 2 separate water basins.... and this is just the beginning ! )

While standing on the outside of the compound note the roof lines and how they change elevation - this gives the effect of a small Spanish hillside village complete with several different shaped chimney caps , albeit in the same vein of style.

From the terracotta exterior motor court try to peak in to see one of the larger general community sitting spaces that includes generously sized outdoor Thai inspired furniture set infront of a Catalina tiled fireplace surrounded by giant bird of paradise in pots and an overhead retractable canvas awning.
    The rest of the condo compound is behind a lovely series of walls and locked wrought iron gates.

• Barbara_Schwarz
    20 years ago

Thanks SO much!

They are between Sunset and Fountain and east of La Brea, which is a bit west and north of where I live, so thatÂs actually West HollywoodÂI live on the cusp between the two. Sounds nit picky but it makes a huge difference. West Hollywood is cleaner, safer, more cultured, predominately gay, and has property values - as well as a tax base - thatÂs a good 50-100% higher than Hollywood proper. We loved living there but couldnÂt afford to buy a house without winning the lottery thus our trek east. West Hollywood has some of the loveliest private gardens in the Los Angeles basin and even the public areas, including the new center divider on Santa Monica Boulevard, are beautifully landscaped. Guess IÂll have to see if I can get one of the tenants to let me inÂmy West Hollywood neighbors are usually wonderful about sharing their gardens. I get Âinvited in all the time Â.. brazen? You bet, and proud of it! If I donÂt ask if I may see their gardens how else will I satiate my curiosity, as well as learn something new? Luckily, gardeners are a generous lot.

Barbara

• Condos
    19 years ago

I worked as a landscaper one summer - its pretty amazing what you run into. Some people are just so picky about every little detail, but then some people really don't care about anything. Same goes with the money too.

• holly_bc
    19 years ago

Mich ~ if you want to email them to me, I'll post them on my site. Love to see them as I have a Spanish style home whose garden is going to need some tending.

Sponsored
More Discussions