Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_to_garden62

books or references to identify old plants (~ 1910)

love_to_garden62
20 years ago

As I was growing up, my parents' house had wonderful garden rooms. Their lot is long and narrow, divided into three rooms in the back, with a spacious front yard.

My Dad is a master gardener, but as he has grown older, he has ripped out most of the old plantings and replaced them with lawn! I cannot tell you how sad that has made me, especially since I have such fond memories of the magical gardens of my youth. I would spend hours studying each plant, knowing that there is truly a heaven on earth.

He started tearing out the beds when my daughters were small. I was busy raising my girls and working. Now, instead of being angry with my Dad, I've been putting that energy into re-creating some of the magic in my own yard.

The only problem--there is one perennial I cannot identify. It has long arching canes, and in the spring has perfectly round white flowers that hang from the canes, perhaps 1/2" in diameter. I can't find this plant anywhere!

If anyone knows what it could be, or where I could try to find it, I would be most grateful.

Barbara

Comments (13)

• love_to_garden62
    Original Author
    20 years ago

just re-read my post...the flowers were not rounded like a ball, but were flat at the top and bottom.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Could it have been a rose? Madame Hardy fits most of that description---and according to the sources I've checked, the canes arch when they are loaded with blossoms. Have included a link to a picture...

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mme Hardy Rose

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Another thought--Bridal Wreath Spirea Spirea prunifolia 'plena' fits that description as well. If neither of theses fits--let me know and I'll keep looking!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: bridal wreath pic and info

• ginny12
    20 years ago

How tall was the plant? Could it have been Solomon's Seal? That doesn't exactly match your description but you never know.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Or maybe Sweet Breath of Spring?

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet breath of spring

• carol23_gw
    20 years ago

Or Dicentra spectabilis. I am assuming the plant is herbaceous and not woody.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186608}}

• love_to_garden62
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you all for your replies...so sorry it's taken me a few days to check back (my mom has pneumonia).

I really appreciate your help, but none of your suggestions are like the plant I remember. I wish I could draw a little better, I would try to draw a picture and scan it in.

If I remember correctly, the plant was about 3 or so feet tall, was an arching perennial similar in shape to bleeding heart, but the flowers were very little, almost like little white puffy tires hanging down from the branches. The flowers had ridges around the circumference.

Well, thanks so much for your suggestions! And I'm enjoying reading the other posts on this forum...learning a lot!

Barbara

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Sorry about your mom--will be sending good thoughts her way. Have a thought about the "ridged puffy tires"--I'll go research and report back!

melanie

• mjsee
    20 years ago

This is a campanula--though my source says it's 1'-2' high...Campanula takesimana is it's name. My other thought was mountain laurel...but it's a BUSH...I'll try and find a decent picture of it. The flowers on it are ridged as you describe--at least before they open...

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mjsee
    20 years ago

This is what mountain laurel looks like...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186610}}

• mjsee
    20 years ago

I think it must be Platycodon Grandiflorus Album--found several places that say they grow from 24"-36". Hope we solved it...

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll about half way down for the white variety

• love_to_garden62
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Melanie,

I'm thinking it might have been some kind of campanula...I went to the nursery to buy my mom a plant, and saw campanula with blossoms very similar to what I remember.

Thank you for all your help. My parents did have a Mountain Laurel in the front yard (yes, it's gone too!), but that I would be able to recognize.

I decided that I'm going to buy a Bridal Wreath Spirea. I already have white bleeding heart, and I think the two will look lovely together. I'll add a couple of pink bleeding hearts as well. That will be enough to make me happy :)

Thanks again,
    Barbara

• mjsee
    20 years ago

It'll be GAWJUS. And you can add bit 'n pieces over the years...and I love this kind of "detective work"...keeps me from focussing on the fact that MY garden is all torn up!

melanie

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts