Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting spring bulbs with summer perennials

Posted by Kirs10 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 21:27

I'm redoing an established bed in the front of my house and would like to do some spring bulbs, with perennials that would emerge later and help to disguise the bulbs foliage as it yellows. Any recommendations for mix of plants for this? Advice for installation?

I was thinking tulips or daffodils with some smaller bulbs (maybe scilla or ipheion). For perennials, I've been considering daylilies, veronica, dianthus. lavendar (I need deer resistant, though, and haven't finished researching choices- looks like both tulips and daylilies may occasionally be damaged).

For installation, do you have suggestions on how to go about this? Am also concerned about bulbs that don't last- what happens if bulbs stop blooming and I need to replant? How do I deal with that without bothering the established perennials, or do I need to dig everything up, divide the perennials as needed, and replant?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting spring bulbs with summer perennials

Late to the parade, but I do think you have a good idea with tulips and daffodils followed by veronica and daylilies...In my own garden, I had critters get every last tulip bulb I planted. If you have rabbits, mice or voles the daffodils and maybe hyaciths are a better route to go. I heavily invested (for me) in daylilies and irises. The deer have not bothered them. You may ant to consider a third wave of flowers like rubeckia, daisies and echinacea, They bloom later in summer.

Dianthus, in my neck of the woods, only lasts 2-3 years. I recommend if you need to replant; things that bloom in early spring, replant in the fall. Other things do it early in spring (before bloom) or well after bloom (a few weeks after). If you dig up something by accident, just replant. A lot of what you are planning on growing is forgiving.

o
RE: Planting spring bulbs with summer perennials

A later follow up.

When planting spring-blooming bulbs near perennials, leave lots of space. Sure, the perennials will hide the old bulb foliage, but if everything is planted too close, then you won't be able to properly dig those bulbs in 5 years.

When I do things like what you are considering, I take into account how much space anything will take in a 5-year period. Some dividing might be necessary prior to that, but that would be a minor thing. Leaving bulbs in place for more than 5 years might get you nothing but foliage.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here