Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth47714

need ideas for shed and garden restoration

beth47714
20 years ago

Anyone have any ideas for "softening" the looks of my OLD shed.

This is what I have:

Recently, bought my first house (I'm 25)...and I have a very old shed that I would like to utilize its "oldness" to tie into my over all look or taste.

My shed has wood siding that is peeling, and I do not want to repaint the shed at this time or maybe ever because I don't think the shed is really worth putting a lot of money into.

Also, an appreciation for reused things instead of always buying new things is part of my style...and of course the look of plants everywhere. (I am obsessed with gw..by the way:]

I thought about making a trellis out of grape vine and attaching it to the shed for vines.

I need Your ideas to "soften" the run-down look of my shed and to incorporate the shed into a cottage-type garden setting

thank you for any replies

Comments (9)

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

I've seen pictures is many magazines and books re decorating old garden sheds. Typically they use old chairs, apple ladders, trellises, antique bedsprings, etc as trellises for vines. Also hanging a collection of old garden or farm tools(hoes, rakes, scythes) or anything that has a nice form for visual appeal like old maple sap buckets, zinc flower buckets, hand tools, old wheels.

Surrounding the shed with lots of containers with both flower and vegetable plantings.

Painting the door a striking color(cobalt or periwinkle blue, lime green, red), leaving rest of shed as is.

Windowbox and shutters if you have a window.

Adding a weather vane or collection of metal objects along the roof line.

Planting sides of shed with tall 5'-8'+ annuals like hollyhocks, sunfloweres, amaranthus, purple millet, nicotiana sylvestris, or Indian corn.

And of course, putting an old seat or bench of some sort to one side of the door.

If you go to the Garden Junk forum they will probably have more ideas. Or do a search there.

Luck!
    Ginger

• Luna
    20 years ago

Hi there.
    All the ideas above are great. Have you thought of planting some tall grass around or on the way to the shed...kind of softning since the tall grass has delicae visual and is so full . I would plant clematis to climb all over it. Another great flower to have scattered around and give a soft look are cosmos. Comes in many colors .Kind of flowers that make me think of fairies when I see them around.
    Good luck..lets us know how end up
    L&L
    Luna

• beth47714
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you so much so far...Luna, great idea with the cosmos...I have some germinating inside right now! Also, I plan to plant Lupine along the side...I thought this would give the shed a cottage feel...one of my main problems though is having my shed look neat in the winter...Also, thanks ginger for the painting the door a differnt color idea..my shed is open in the front, like a garage without a door, but I do have an old door on the side that would look great a different color to "break up" the whole run-down look..and it wouldn't cost much! Keep the ideas coming..I am starting to see something!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    20 years ago

How about a large climbing rose?
    Jo

• jake
    20 years ago

The shed appearance can be and will be what you make it. Do you want an "old" shed mind set in place or do you want an old shed made to look old and then hidden by "stuff"?

To keep that old shed in place you need to make sure the "bones" of the shed will hold up the worn out exterior. Would hate to see or read about a young garden enthusiast being crushed by old shed that fell on him.

Tall grasses around (not too many) would definitely add to the minds eye that the shed has been there untouched for several years, especially if you use a tall Miscanthus grass (4' -6' or other like heights of Panicum, Pennisetums etc).

Adding a striking color, rather it be a door painted such or a window trimmed out in color, will make your shed an eye grabber during the growing season and during the winter or off-season. Winter or off-season I think of white stuff draped on and around the old shed.

I need to get better acquainted with the zones 'cuz the winter season means snow and cold in my "hood" while others like you might be cold when the tempt hits 35 degrees outside. With sunshine 25 degrees is a walk in the park.

Hollyhocks and other old fashion plant material will add stately age to your shed and as others mentioned a bench get outside the "door" area will invite one to sit and ponder what was and maybe think about what can be.

There is more but I think with the other positive responses and my thoughts you now have a large palette to draw from.

Jake

• kpandolfi
    19 years ago

I too have a "Cob Shed" where they use to store cobs to burn. We cleaned it out and purchased (cheaply)a cabinet with cheap counter top and an over head cabinet. I use the shed for potting plants because many days it is very windy and I don't have to worry about trying to pot flowers in the yard. It is perfect because I keep all my gardening supplies in the shed along with some of the kids toys and pool supplies. I have a split rail next to it and I also have an old gate that I lean against it with a milk can. I have also hung a grapevine wreath (secure it sturdy). I also used an old window frame (minus glass) and painted it and hung it on a wall that didn't have a window. There are all kinds of ideas. I love being able to stand at the counter to work on my plants and I keep a bucket of dirt. right next to me for potting. When clean up time comes I just use the shop vac and an old broom. You can also use old medal lawn chairs and put by the door with a potted plant in it. Your options are endless. Good luck.

• egyptianonion
    19 years ago

I would think one or two small evergreens, maybe a narrow columnar that won't grow too fast placed at one corner, and if you have room, some kind of berried plant (evergreen or otherwise). Then you put up an autumn wreath at Thanksgiving, changing over to a winter evergreen wreath.

EO

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Just a thought after re-reading this thread: Painting your shed will keep it from rotting out, so there might be a good reason to spend $20 on paint other than how it looks. If you don't you may find yourself having to replace it altogether that much sooner.
    Jo

• beth47714
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks everyone for the recent replies...I had posted the message a few months ago and got great feedback. I haven't been on GW for a few days and had not noticed my post was back at the top...I was delighted to get the emails! I am still working on things outside...I have a hundred projects going at once...it seems! So keep the ideas coming

Sponsored
More Discussions