Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My back yard is completely destroyed

Posted by mbkl noneNew York City (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 4:47

I have a small back yard, about 25 ft. by 40 ft. There is a very large oak tree at the far end of it, so it is rather shady. I had ivy covering about one third of the yard, at the end, and the rest was patchy grass, but I was completely fine with that.

My tenant removed every scrap of ivy, so that now the yard is mostly bare dirt. I am gutted and have literally been crying. I don't know what to do. I called a landscaper and he said he can put in ivy plugs, but until they grow in I will have to be constantly weeding around them. I can't do that because I have chronic fatigue, and gardening and yard work don't interest me in any case.

The only thing I can think of to do is put down sod over most of the yard, and plant ivy around the base of the tree where grass won't grow, but I truly hate grass. The last thing I wanted was to put down a large swath of grass, which I will have to mow and which might need chemical fertilizers and weed killers, which I am not willing to use.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My back yard is completely destroyed

This may not be what you want to hear, but ivy is considered an invasive species and shouldn't be encouraged.

What about a nice mulch pathway going up to and around the tree? Perhaps a bench to sit on under the tree would be nice.

Low maintenance, attractive, and non-invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here