Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Garden redesign redo

Saypoint zone 6 CT
20 years ago

Well, I've posted lots of times looking for info and advice on improving my landscape, and have finally gotten a design down on paper, with help from a pro (rough sketches only, no measured plan).

The after plan is one I printed part way through the drawing process, and some of it is off a bit in this version, ie. the opening in the hedges should line up, and some other details have been tweaked, but this is the direction I'm taking.

An allee of ornamental trees from house to pergola, a tomb-stone shaped lawn screened from the driveway with an evergreen hedge with solid gates, existing sunny border to remain along drive, new borders underway inside tomb-stone. Radius end screened from street with yews, allee defined with boxwood borders.

New shed with raised beds for veggies and cutting garden, new brick paths to street from both front doors (!) connected by path that squares off the foundation planting.

Possible picket fence on street side as well as from garage to side boundary to separate shed/veggie area from side garden. New hedge along entire east boundary, maybe a Viburnum.

Remove old (unused) brick patio and replace with groundcover and boxwood and peastone parterre. Extend existing stone patio on west side toward driveway.

Already started chalk-painting out the lines of new gardens, and started removing sod and relocating perennials that will be in the way of shrub installation today.

Still have to finalize selections for some of the plant materials.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186736}}

Comments (21)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the after plan. The other post was difficult to read due to the image size.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186738}}

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I love the new design, there are still a few bugs to work out, and details to decide.
    Ginger, I wasn't going for an accurate recreation, and since I don't know much about the original landscape, and three-quarters of the property was sold off in the 60s, I can't to a restoration anyway. I do know that the second owners (1847-1870 at least) had a rose arbor, summerhouse and box-lined patio in the area that was sold.
    I asked questions here and lurked on others' posts, and learned a bit about garden history. The toughest part is that the house is Georgian, but it was built in 1837, which is late Federal, very early Victorian. Add to this the fact that we don't live the same way today that we would have back then. I looked at a lot of photos of old houses and gardens, and also at the range of historical garden styles possible.
    In the end I decided to go with the look I love. I was drawn to gardens with geometric shapes and straight borders, lots of privacy where needed, hedges and fences to divide and define, and lush plantings.
    I won't be removing everything that isn't period-correct, only what's in the way of the new design or plants that I don't care for. I've already started relocating existing plants, and will edit and add later when the hard part is done.
    Long hedge on east side (North is up, and house faces North, arrow didn't show up for some reason) probably Viburnum rhytidoplyllum.
    Long hedge along drive in full sun, probably arborvitae trimmed to 6' tall, with solid door gates. Switch to yew on the radius (shaded by cedars). Hedges enclosing allee will be boxwood. For the trees, I love dogwood, but they'll be in full sun, so I'm thinking Acer griseum. I considered crabapple, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the disease issues.
    Additional plantings of Viburnum tomentosum 'Mariesii' or V. lantana 'Mohican' to screen allee area from NE view of street.
    More plantings of evergreen shrubs needed on the West side behind pergola (corner lot, streets N and W).
    Under the large sugar maple between house and garage is a sea of pachysandra. I'm thinking of added three or four japanese maples in this area.
    I know that this forum has been leaning toward historical gardens lately, and I've read the discussions about that. I hope we can include general garden renewal for those who don't want to be strict purists.
    Plant material suggestion welcome.
    Jo

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Jo--looks lovely--you've got your work cut out for you! My crab apple is the healthiest flowering tree in the yard--(the ornamental plum and prunus mume are on their way OUT) what diseases are they prone to? Bagworms are an issue every spring---but DH gets a kick out of pulling the nest out of hte tree and "flaming" them--so THAT'S taken care of.

AM short on time so didn't read your posts as carefully as I should have...I know they are a lot of work, but I dearly love rose arbors. Will you be putting one ANYWHERE? I am contemplating finding a spot for one in my yard--they need SO much sun--not certain if it'll happen. If you do one, I could enjoy it vicariously! I must be a selfish romantic at heart...

keep up the good work!

melanie

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hey, Melanie,
    Yes, I'll be planting a climbing rose on the pergola at the end of the allee, as well as on an arbor over the gate from driveway to first garden.
    Jo

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

P.S. Melanie,
    I'm concerned about cedar-apple rust and scab. Will check it out more thoroughly at the nurseries.
    Jo

• tessasdca
    20 years ago

Well, I think it looks fabulous. And it certainly compliments your house and gives you the goals you seek - geometry, privacy and lush plantings. This garden renewal appears to be making the most of the land remaining around this old home; giving you outdoor living areas, rose arbor, vegetable and cutting gardens - wonderful!
    The shed and veggies are in the lower right?
    Can't wait to see more!
    Tess

• JillP
    20 years ago

Looks wonderful. Keep posting as it comes along.

• kategardens
    20 years ago

Hi Jo: First of all, thanks for re-posting this right-side up! Here are a few thoughts from a non-expert.

-- I remember what I think was the very first time you posted a picture of your property on the LD forum. It was a shot of round lawn encircled by a very pretty border. The reason I remember is that, unlike many of the "help me" photos posted on that forum, the photo you posted was beautiful, and I did not quite understand why you were unhappy with it, other than wanting to add some additional plants. I've seen your subsequent posts here, of course, and learned more about your efforts to research the history of the house and try to figure out what might be historically appropriate. Finally seeing the plans -- both the before and after -- rather than just the photos has given me a much better idea of what you are working with and what you are trying to accomplish. (I don't have the ability to read the photos with the same skill as the various pros here). As I said on the original thread, it certainly looks to me like the new design adds promising definition to your grounds in a way that complements the style of your house.

-- From looking at the plan, I don't quite understand the debate about the patio that you referenced on the other thread, can you explain a bit more?

-- On the basis of no credential other than common sense, I offer the following two comments. First, based solely on the posts you've made to GardenWeb, it seems that you have been thinking about and researching this project for a very long time--why the sudden rush to implement within hours of having the preliminary design in hand? I'm sure you are anxious to see some progress, but I wonder if some of the decisions you referenced on the other thread would seem less stressful if you took a couple of weeks or so to just live with the plan, before making any definite commitments or choices. The second comment may seem to contradict the first a bit, but in the end I think they work hand-in-hand, so here goes: getting advice prior to your decisions is of course good, but at a certain point, _you_ are going to have to decide for yourself what you like and what you want. From your other post, I start to worry that you could find yourself in an endless loop of one designer critiquing another designer's plan, only to have the second plan critiqued by either the first or a third designer, etc. You seemed to be quite enthusiastic about the plan (and presumably the designer) until you talked to your neighborhood hardscape guy. If that conversation gave you (or gave voice to some of your own) reservations about the patio design, why not broach this with the original designer and what she/he has to say. Perhaps he/she could modify that part of the plan to your liking. Building from something you like seems easier to me than starting over from scratch. I'm curious as to what the designers on the forum have to say about this issue.

-- Finally, I am entirely unqualified to make horticultural recommendations, but since you mentioned the allee of ornamental trees, I just wanted to provide you with some inspiration by linking a photo of one of the most beautiful allees in my neighborhood. I have no idea if cherry trees grow as far north as CT.

Good luck as you continue to wrestle with all of this, and remember, this is is supposed to provide pleasure in the end, no? Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus allee at Dumbarton Oaks

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Kate, thanks for your comments and the link. Fabulous photos.
    The garden was pretty when we moved in two years ago, but a bit neglected. The borders were full of grassy weeds enmeshed in the plant roots, the lawn amoeba-shaped and in bad condition, trees overgrown and in need of pruning, and in some cases, removal. After cleaning up the poison ivy, rampant forsythia, maple saplings, and diseased and overcrowded trees, it wasn't so pretty anymore. We lost some privacy and gained some new opportunities.

The old stone patio has a hideous bulkhead in the middle of it, and is too small and exposed. It's also too far from the door to the house to feel connected to the interior, and is inconvenient to the kitchen.

Add to this the spalling, moldy, mossy, slicker than, well, you know, brick patio on the east side (even the dogs refuse to use it), lack of a garden shed for storage, no space for a small veggie garden, orphaned front door(s) and general lack of cohesion, and we've got a major overhaul on our hands. I almost wish I had left it alone in its charming garden-in-decline state.

You're right, I was very excited about the new plan. I had help with the general concepts, and drew it myself to work out placement, etc. (as if you can't tell :o))

The patio changes involved dropping down one or two steps from the existing area, and adding another section around and below the clump of birches. This gave us more space and brought it closer to the back door. The problems, as pointed out by the landscaper who looked at it, are that the upper section still has the hideous bulkhead, and I could be closer still to the back door.

Another issue is the stone: the existing patio and radiating paths are made from slabs of granite that originally made up the floor of the garage. It will be impossible to match. My original thoughts, last year, on the patio dilemma, was to take up the paths to re-use the stone for a patio along the back of the house. The designer I worked with didn't agree with my idea, and I bowed to his greater experience.
    The hardscape guy thinks my idea is better , and goes even further: he thinks we should eliminate most or all of the old patio and re-use the additional stone, replacing all of the paths with brick. He also says he has worked with a lot of LAs and designers in the area, and says the one he's recommending is the best. He really loves the house, and thinks we can do better by it.
    Of course, I've been champing at the bit for two years now to get something going with the landscape. It wouldn't surprise my husband one bit if he caught me out there digging up sod with a teaspoon if it was the only way to get closer to my goal as soon as possible. Yah, I'm half a bubble off of plumb.

On the cherries, I looked at them as a possibility, but they will get too large for the area, and I don't want to create another monster for the next gardener. In spite of my mental deficiencies, my husband has agreed to let me live to garden another day, and thinks a second opinion on the patio is not a bad idea.
    Advice, opinions, ideas most welcome, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Jo

• kategardens
    20 years ago

Hi Jo: I'm sorry, I completely misunderstood your situation. I remembered that you were going to try doing this yourself, and then that you decided to go ahead and hire a designer, I just assumed that the latter had done the plan. I had no idea that you had done it yourself--I'm quite impressed with both your computer and design skills! I'm sure the pros can tell the difference in a heartbeat, but someone like me--are you kidding?

If you are the person who is putting the design together, based on input from others, I now understand why getting additional input is attractive. You're the one who has lived in the space for a while and who will continue to live with it--if you're looking for support for consulting the designer who you think will be more sympathetic to your patio concerns I say go for it! (I, of course, am not paying the bills :) )

Seriously, though, I just think that you have spent so much time living in this space and researching options that you should not dismiss lightly your own preferences and gut feelings about what looks right.

Re: feedback, if you truly want a thorough dissection of the plan from a design standpoint, there is always the LD forum if you feel you don't get enough here . . .

Good luck -- Kate

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Construction has started. Sod cutter was here early Saturday a.m., and have removed most of it to the compost pile. Compost added to areas planned for new perennial borders and tilled in. Truck arriving Monday morning with 8 trees and 32 shrubs. Planted 20 Boxwoods after these were taken today, 20 to go.
    Patio plans being refined, still have some decisions to make on materials, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186740}}

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Another view.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186743}}

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Work-in-progress photos of the new perennial garden with some of the arborvitaes planted, and new allee with sod removed and 8 Kousa dogwoods planted, as well as one of the boxwood hedges.

{{gwi:1186745}}

{{gwi:1186747}}

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Jo--it's gonna be GAWJUS! Wish I had LAWN like that! Must go put on my "Stone Empress" clothing...Hope to have an update for y'all soon. I am, BTW, one big bruise. It's good for me!

melanie

• phdnc
    19 years ago

Jo, thanks for the pics!!! looking good!!!
    Its fun to see plans/ then pics to go along.
    Keep us posted.
    Mel your turn. ;>)
    perry

• mjsee
    19 years ago

I hear ya Perry, i hear ya. Will go finish offhte roll RIGHT NOW--take it to get developed tonight or tomorrow--Pictures Monday latest.

Have I mentioned how tired, sore, and bruised I am? Or that I picked a half bushel of strawberries this afternoon for my kid's teachers? Normally I'd pick 'em Monday Morning and take 'em straight to school, but it is supposed to POUR Sat, Sun, Mon--so figured I'd better beat the rain. Anyone who teaches HS deserves fresh strawberries--particularly during "teacher appreciation week." If it doesn't rain I'll go pick them fresh ones, and freeze what I picked today.

I'm rambling--sorry!

melanie

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update: some before and after (during?) views. The view of the long border is now blocked by the new hedge, but new borders have been added to the inside of the hedged area. Some plants are divisions from overgrown existing plants in other areas, many are new additions. Can't wait till they fill out. Still much to do, will add/rearrange plants as necessary to try for good balance, year-round interest, color, texture, etc.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JoanneH/garden%20pics/WestFromOldPatioAfter.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JoanneH/garden%20pics/WestFromOldPatioBefore.jpg

Another view of old border, now cleaned up of weeds, excess volunteer seedlings, arbor relocated to new cross-axis, temporary tuteurs for old climbers installed. This area will fill out considerably as the before photo was from last summer and the after was taken this morning.
    http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JoanneH/garden%20pics/ViewFromDriveAfter.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JoanneH/garden%20pics/ViewFromDriveBefore.jpg

New patio final decision to be made soon, as well as disposition of old patio and design/construction of new pergola at end of allee.
    Everything growing like crazy! I love it!
    Jo

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here's link to the whole album.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Jo--youmust be working your FANNY off. You've accomplished so much--it's really quite lovely. I know you are making the house and the grounds quite happy--not to mention the neighbors!

melanie

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, melanie. Yes, I've lost 10 lbs. so far, so you're right. The neighbors are enjoying this as much as I am, they slow down to check out my progress, and my friend across the street says people drive into our (dead end) side street just to look and go back out, but I'm guessing they're lost. :o)
    Observers can see me struggling with an overloaded garden cart, pulling like a mule, most days. If they're lucky and go by at just the right time, they might even see me fall down in the dirt, which I do fairly regularly.

Jo

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Three new photos added to my album, showing progress of new plantings in perennial borders, mulching, dividing, and cleaning up underway, and everything leafing out.
    Still more shrubs to plant along West boundary, azaleas to plant along house foundation, groundcovers to be planted under trees in Allee. Awaiting quote on hardscape for patio, paths, and rear entrance to house.
    Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions