Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steps to refresh a veggie garden?

Posted by darkmorning Zone 9 Central FL, U (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 11:53

I have a small veggie garden started in April 2012, my most recent planting were brussels sprouts, that took much longer than expected to mature and are still in the ground. I think it's too late to start a spring planting and the soil probably needs a good rest and replenishment too. So I'm planning on waiting until late summer/early fall to plant again.

I was thinking I would add partially decomposed compost to the existing soil and cover with plastic to let it finish breaking down over the summer. Does this seem like a good plan? I'm still somewhat new to gardening and tend to "wing it" more often than not. If there's a better place to ask this question, please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steps to refresh a veggie garden?

I would do as you are planning but still have a few plants there. Not all veggie plants need a full growing season.

I mention this because a spot that doesn't have a plant is easy to forget it as a spot that you don't need to take care of. but in fact, you should still weed in this area as well as giving it the occasional moisture or exposure to rain, if you won't be watering it yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here