Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprylflowers

1860 home ideas

aprylflowers
16 years ago

I just purchased an 1860 home with a very good size yard. I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions on what to plant. I'm a passionate gardener and love lots of flowers. One thing is that their is really no privacy, houses are on all sides. I would love to do a hedge but really want privacy immediately and my sweet and I are going to put a privacy fence up which I know is not historical. Any suggestions on a style for this period and possibly a privet hedge that will grow quickly that is not a conifer. Thank you in advance for any input.

Apryl Flowers

Comments (6)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

Why worry about historical content? In 1860 they didn't have cell phones nor the Internet nor plumbing nor electricity. Plant what you want to plant. I would gather most homes in the 1860's didn't have their landscaps designed by a professional and except for estates everything was a haphazard. A privacy fence with finials at the top of the posts would look great. Herbs would be another aspect as well as perennials. Hedges can be boring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• mariannese
    16 years ago

Perhaps you may find some inspiration in William Cobbett's The American Gardener from 1855, the full text can be found on-line.

I understand your wish to be historically accurate but I think accuracy can be achieved by the general layout and then you may plant whatever flowers and shrubs you like within that framework. It may be difficult to find the old varieties. If you decide on a veggie garden a tomato like Brandywine will be a must, I think.

Marianne in Sweden

• lmv67
    15 years ago

Actually there are many plants from that period of time that you can still buy now eg Achillea filpendulum 'Cerise Queen', Alchemilla mollis (Lady's mantle), Anthemis tinctoria 'Kelwayi', Armeria cephalotes (thrift), globe amaranth,stocks,Anemone 'Honorine Jobert' (1858), peony 'Duchesse de Nemours' ...and many more. Here are some ideas from Breck's Book of Flowers(1856): on Laying Out a Garden "The form of the ground may be either square or oblong, somewhat circular or irregular.The interior part may be divided into oblong 4'beds....a walk should be carried round the outward boundary, leaving a border to surround the whole ground. THis outward border will be the appropriate place for choice flowering shrubs, and tall herbaceous biennial and perennial plats. If the border be a wide one, groups of ornamental trees, of low growth, may be planted in the background...Every fine garden should be well-secured by fence or hedge" He also talks about what materials to use for walks, and then lists recommended annual, perennials, shrubs and trees....far too much for my to write here, but if you are interested I can e-mail more excerpts from the book. For a list of historical plants that are still available, please check out my web site - Vintage Gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Gardening

• allison1888
    15 years ago

Our house was built in 1888 and we too wanted privacy when redoing the entire yard. We went with a 6-foot high cedar fence, which doesn't fit the period as much as a wrought iron one, but it gave us the privacy we wanted. From there, look for ways to highlight interesting elements of your house. It helps to draw it all out on paper so you can see where you're going. And, when in doubt find a professional to at least help you carve out the planting areas -- you can always tinker with each part as you go.

Here's an interesting article about Victorian gardens, which certainly fits the time period of your home. http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/Detailed/818.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian gardens

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

I greatly respect and appreciate the fact that you're making this gardening attempt in keeping with the age of your home. I don't know where you are located, but camellias may be a possibility. There are many pre-1900 ones. I belong to a newly formed organization concentrating on the preservation of these 'oldies'. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

Right. Camelias are hardy in zones 6 and warmer, but perhaps you have a microclimate where you are, or you can make one. You dont go into any detail on your page about your location, but it would help us to recommend plants knowing if you are on the ocean, in central MA or what. Consider adding it to your page to enrich your success here. I lived on Boston's south shore where Camelias are not hardy, zone 6. I now live in NC zone 7 where Camelias varieties bloom almost 12 months of the year and are as common as boxwoods. I am heading up a committee for designing and installing an 1860's southern garden at our historic Nissan House in our town on a very small lot. Perhaps I can be of some assistance to you. This thread has already helped me a great deal in the 2 books listed here. I am ready!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions