Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

Time and tide....and trees wait for no man

nandina
20 years ago

Garden restoration is difficult. This morning I was thinking about a business trip several years ago which took us near an estate in MA. where I lived during my early years. I wanted to share the experience with DH. Even though we moved when I was ten my memories of this wonderful place still remain very clear. As we toured the estate I recognized only three things; the road pattern remained the same and two small caretaker houses were still in place.

Gone was the four story mansion house with slate Mansard roof. In its place stood full grown mature trees. I remember a circular drive that swept up the hill to the mansion house lined with old sugar maples. The day after the 1938 hurricane that struck New England I awoke to the sight of all those maples felled. Not one remained standing.

The drive is gone, replaced with a forest. Behind the mansion there used to be a lovely garden area and a rectangular planting of arborvitae within which were the clotheslines. After all, no self respecting family hung unmentionables for public view! How many of you have remembered that tidbit as you restore backyard gardens, especially Victorian? The previous gardens have all grown to woods.

Gone is the wonderful arborvitae maze which was kept trimmed to eight feet in height (a copy of the famous one at Hampton House). All a wooded area, now.

Gone is the magnificant old stable and paddocks which housed up to 30 horses. They were the love of my young life!

The forest has overtaken these, too.

Gone are the walking trails which allowed viewing of Rhododendrons and natural plantings. Again, the forest has relandscaped those once beautiful spots.

One of the interesting surprises was noting that huge glacial erratic rocks that I used to climb have all been removed. It must have been a major job relocating them.

No, "you can't go home again". In this day and age that estate could never be restored to its previous glory. At least, the land is still there, protected from development and open to the public. Mother Nature has replaced man's design with her own brand of landscaping. Trees, trees and more trees.

Comments (9)

• John_D
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nandina:
    I'm in the process of letting Mother Nature restore my garden to the sort of woods that were here before the first American settlers arrived on the PNW shores some 150 years ago,

But it is a very selective restoration process, in which I let her plant some things, but put my foot down and pull up others without remorse.

For one thing, a full restoration is hardly possible because this area was a temperate rain forest before loggers and settlers cleared the land. I suspect the rain forest would be back within a few decades, if Mother nature had her way. She starts by planting red alders, which form thickets in just a year or two (and put nitrogen into the soil). In their shade, grow mosses and ferns, which are soon augmented by native shrubs like salmonberry, thimbleberry, huckleberry, and salal and by bigleaf maple, vine maple, and wild cherries, as well as conifers (primarily western redcedar and Douglas-fir). Alders are short-lived, and when they fall, they serve as nurse logs for shrubs and trees.

The lot my house sits on was a tangle of [non-native] blackberries when this house was built in 1987. When I took over in 1993, many of the blackberries remained. The rest of the garden was covered by rolled-out sod. I fought Mother Nature for the first few years -- when she tried to tell me that I should only pant native perennials, shrubs, and trees -- and I'm glad I did. Otherwise I would not now have mature camellias, flowering cherries and plums, and magnolias. Nor would I have apple and plum trees to provide me with fresh fruit during the autumn.

But Mother Nature nixed roses, and I did not replant them. She snuck in birches, Douglas-firs and redcedar, and I let them be, She tried to plant alders, but I have a neurotic neighbor who hates alders (because they are a favorite food of aphids), and the alders stood no chance: I let her pull them. I had mixed feelings about salmonberry and thimbleberry, because they can become invasive, so I let them grow in only a few spots (but they keep trying to take over). I encouraged wild mosses and ferns, which helped me get rid of the rolled-out sod.

As the density of the border plantings increased, Mother nature sent her animal to share the garden -- raccoons, skunks, garter snakes, Steller's jays, robins, song sparrows, towhees, chickadees, bushtits, hummingbirds, and other creatures. They are welcome to stay, as long as they don't become too aggressive). So far, they haven't, with the possible exception of those feisty hummingbirds who try to tell m that they own the garden and I shouldn't be in it.

I am not worried about the garden becoming a rampant tangle of shrubs and trees, because in nature, as in the garden, not all seedlings survive. Mature trees and shrubs die and leave openings for new growth -- nature is never static. Since Mother Nature and man work to different time frames, I'm going to have to help her out by cutting back or removing some of the shrubs and trees that are trying to push out their neighbors.

So far, this seems to be working. Right now. the garden is a pleasant mix of native and introduced shrubs and trees. Which is something I enjoy very much. As the garden matures further, I see the natives taking over more space. But that, too, is fine. It will be an interesting process to watch (and document).

• mjsee
    20 years ago

John, your property sounds lovely. I am taking a similar approach in my back and side yards..."judicious encouragement" I call it. The birds plant privet--I yank it the minute I see it. Ditto sweet gums too near the house. Dogwoods and redbud get to stay...as does the periwinkle. Black and garter snakes I encourage--copperheads I respectfully dislike. I've got TONS of trout lillies--and some other native flowers I need to identify (look like some form of white windflower)--no trilium, alas.

melanie

• John_D
    20 years ago

Melanie:
    Fortunately we have no poisonous snakes in western Washington.

I finally got a trillium, but it took ten years (I wonder how that seed got here?). I also have red-flowering current, which is a native flowering shrub, and native wild roses (which are beginning to cover my katsura tree arbor).

I like your phrase, "judicious encouragement."

• mjsee
    20 years ago

John,
    Well, remember--my function in this forum is wordsmith, definitions queen, and getting ragged on because I can't spell common words, am incapable of proofreading, and think faster than I can type. AND I've needed a new keyboard for AT least 9 months--maybe a year!

I think the deer eat the trillium around here. Trout lillies must taste bad. Wish I could encourage the native phlox that's growing a 1/4 mile from here in the woods to "come on oever..." any suggestions? It's breath-taking--I'll try and get a pic this afternoon if it doesn't rain.

melanie

• John_D
    20 years ago

Melanie:
    Check out the soil, light, and moisture conditions under which the phlox grows and hope for the best. I killed several plantings of phlox and rock rose before I realized that my garden is too moist and shady for them. But they grow like weeds in the sere and sunny parts of the neighborhood.

There's another restoration scheme I could try, but I;m not into vegetable gardening: until the 1950s, this neighborhood overlooked the largest salmon cannery in the world and had a large bunkhouse for Chinese workers. The Chinese cooks laid out large gardens where they grew vegetables. We still find pieces of Chinese drain pipe now and then while digging, as well as odd pieces of Chinese porcelain (they must have had tea parties in their gardens and broken a cup now and then).

• mjsee
    20 years ago

Computer ate my reply--let's try this again.
    {{gwi:1186949}}
    When the trees leaf out this is VERY shady. I wouldn't transplant the phlox--have thought about collecting seeds. Would that be kosher? The plants are on land owned and maintained by our HOA...

melanie

• John_D
    20 years ago

That's lovely! I can see why you want some. There's nothing wrong with collecting seeds, since you won't hurt the plants.

• catkim
    20 years ago

To one who lives where rain is scarce and treasured, it is quite amazing to picture trees slowly taking over garden space! Thank you all for your vivid descriptions.

• kategardens
    20 years ago

Nandina, you paint a beautiful and vivid picture of the joys that a fine garden or landscape can bring. With a childhood like that, it is no wonder that you wound up doing professional work in this field. Did you ever find out what happened to the mansion itself? It sounds as though there was a good deal of human intervention required (demolition, removal, etc.) to allow Mother Nature to reclaim this space -- ironic.

I've been thinking a bit lately about the fact that many of what we now think of as "public" gardens were in fact originally designed as private estates. I wonder to what extent "restored to nature" has become the fate of other such estates.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio
More Discussions