Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bblonder_gw

Restoration of Historic English Walled Garden and Formal Herb Gar

bblonder
17 years ago

After 15 long years, the historically correct restoration of the Charles Wittlesey Power home in Massachusetts is nearly complete. The gardens are also on the National Register of Historic Places, specifically the sunken walled English garden with central fountain, and the gazebo, which is one of of the 22 images of gazebos in the Lantern Slide Collection at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design (American Landscape and Architectural Design, 1850 - 1920).

As we begin the restoration of the gardens, we are overwhelmed by the size and scope of this project. We hired a landscape architect with experience in historic projects to prepare a master plan. In the past, most of the "cottages" of the Berkshire's were summer homes, but we plan to live in this home year-round. For that reason, our landscape architect has suggested a Japanese "winter garden" plan that would complement the Teahouse (gazebo). The bones of the winter garden would offer us views throughout the year, which wasn't a concern for owners of the past whose English gardens literally disappeared over winter.

Questions:

1. This Tudor Revival home was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens through house plans acquired from England, then built in the U.S. around 1906. Typically, Lutyens worked with the renowned English gardener Gertrude Jekyll (pronouced Jee-kal). Would this Japanese winter garden make them both turn over in their graves?

2. We have recently acquired the marble monument pedestal and surrounding marble border from a former historic formal herb garden formerly located on the estate of home in New York. The massive urn that sat on the pedestal was not sold. The marble pedestal is approx. 24" x 24" x 24", and the 14 border pieces are each 5" x 5" x 54". The garden was a long rectangle created by placing 2 sections on each end, and 5 sections on each long side, end to end. Instead, we are planning to create a square formal herb garden, using 3 sections of the border pieces on each side. The garden would be approx. 13' square, with the pedestal in the center. Would this be historically correct for our estate? What kind of statuary would you suggest for the pedestal and of what scale should it be? What varieties of herbs would offer the most interest, color, and impact?

3. I love the old hydrangeas that are seen at many of the Newport (RI) mansions. Where can I find those wonderful specimens?

Comments (3)

• nandina
    17 years ago

I love questions such as this. They allow me to research and revisit the work of such talentented designers as Lutyens. My thoughts on your questions:

1. I find many references to Lutyens returning to former houses he designed and working on the landscapes, including the addition of a Japanese garden in some situations. He is credited with the ability ..."to build in a style that combined the best of the east and the west". He is also known to have a love of paradox...contrary to common sense. Plus, estates of that period had many types of gardens and it is not uncommon practice. So...if you are in the hands of a good LA well grounded with Lutyens and his brilliant career the addition of a Japanese garden should be acceptable.

2. You are fortunate to obtain the old marble parts to construct an herb garden. Your planned use arranging them into a formal shape works. Too bad that you could not also purchase the marble urn. Somewhere the right urn or statue lurks to replace it. With some searching you will know it when you see it. I am surprised that your LA has not given you guidance on planting an herb garden. Usually they were bordered with a low, neatly trimmed boxwood hedge and planted with culinary herbs and flowers. Lots on on-line information to aid your selections.

3. There is a Hydrangea Forum here on GW with many knowledgeable gardeners posting. Suggest asking this question there where you should find all sorts of suggestions and advice.

• bblonder
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Nandina, for your feedback. I have a statuary that will suffice temporarily while continuing my search for an urn.

What kinds of flowers would be planted in the herb garden? Lavender?

Our LA suggested that a boxwood hedge be planted in another location (other than the herb garden), which will have the marble surround.

I checked out the hydrangea website, and was thrilled to read all the helpful information. I'm considering a large bed of Endless Summer for "Hydrangea Hill," but I now have some reservations due to the amount of sunlight v. shade required. Our hydrangeas would be planted on the east side of the house, at the foundation, and would get full sun until early afternoon, then full shade. I'll post on that forum to get suggestions before I purchase 50 hydrangeas!

• nandina
    16 years ago

You could use Santolina as a herb garden border plant. Also, Teucrium fruiticams is often used. You really need to do extensive reading of herb gardening books. There are hundreds available. I just Googled herb nurseries in your state and there are some excellent ones worthy enough for a road trip to study herb plants and display gardens. Herb gardening becomes a very personal type of gardening. You may want to do a formal knot garden. So many herbs. So many ideas available for herb gardening. Strongly suggest some hands-on research for what will become a life-long fascination.

Sponsored
More Discussions