Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennessee_gw

Homemade arbor

Tennessee
19 years ago

I'd like to make a homemade arbor to go over a bench by my vegetable garden. I'd like to use limbs or whatever, then I want to plant climbing beans and morning glories to go on the arbor. Please some design ideas.

Comments (11)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Hey, Tennessee,
    Looks like everyone's outside, doesn't it? I've never built an arbor, but plan to soon. Try doing a google search on 'rustic arbor' or 'arbor plans' and then clicking on "images" after you get your web hits. Easier to weed out sites that won't be helpful if you can see the pics first.
    I think the arbors made of branches, twigs, etc. are more or less free-form or figure-it-out-as-you-go than designed.
    Have fun.
    Jo

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Jo--thanks for answering Tennessee. We HAVE all been outside, haven't we? Tennessee--I'd also suggest that you post over on Garden Accoutrements (sp?)--I seem to remember someone over there building rustic arbors.

melanie

• bambooo
    19 years ago

Check out the tenoning tools that Lee Valley has if you get serious into twig construction.

• ZephirineD
    19 years ago

There's a wonderful arbor at Wisley made out of six trees. It's fairly young, so the trees are still being trained.

Briefly, the young trees were planted at the six corners of a hexagon. They were allowed to grow straight up to a height of about ten feet, and then they were bent inwards towards the center of the arbor. Their branches are being trained to make a leafy roof.

It was very beautiful even in March, when it hadn't yet leafed out. I should imagine that by now it's really something to see.

Love,

Claudia

• fuzzy
    19 years ago

The HGTV website had a helpful article on making a twig/found wood arbor. I don't have time to find it, but you might check that out before you get started.

• chavakitty
    19 years ago

Here's a photo of an arbor bench that I made. I didn't use a pattern. Just make each side as a separate ladder, measuring from the bottom up (and giving yourself room to trim), then join the two sides with your top twigs. Once you have the basic structure you can add twigs and make it as fancy as you like. Use wood screws to hold it together and make sure you brace the sides so the whole structure is stable. The whole thing took me one day to make. Once you make one twig project, you get addicted! Post pictures once you finish. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1186975}}

• chavakitty
    19 years ago

I am going to try that link again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy's Garden Junk

• little_sardy
    19 years ago

chavakitty - I loved your pics - the waterline pic gave me a start. That blue thing in the foreground made me think it was a face-down body laying there! Must be watching too many murder mysteries. If you had put some shoes on it- I would have freaked! LOL.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

I had the time to find the HGTV page--I'm there everyday entering to win $100,000 to transform my yard into paradise. (Like THAT will happen!)

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV twig arbor instructions

• Cady
    19 years ago

Mel, your yard already is paradise, now that the amazing stone wall is done. :)

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Only the front yard, Cady, only the front yard! The backyard is a whole 'nother proposition!

Tell you what, if I win it can be another "group project." But don't hold your breath, I NEVER win anything.

melanie

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler