Peter Davison...1980-86

Colin Baker...1984-86

Sylvester McCoy...1986-96

Paul McGann...1996

Source: Schott's Original Miscellany. Ben Schott 2002

Comments (11)

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

In case there is someone else out there who is not familiar with Ben Schott, here is a link. Very British.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0821/p17s01-bogn.htm

Now who are these people you are referencing, INK?? A rather cryptic posting--unless they are famous gardeners or garden historians . . . is this in relation to the Versailles/Vaux debate?

G.

• mjsee
    20 years ago

They are incarnations of Dr. Who--a gardener who battled that most invasive species--the Krynoid (it's spelled correctly--I looked it up) in "The Seeds of Doom."

melanie

• inkognito
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am glad to see that melanie is keeping abreast of her spelling.
    I put it in ginger to suggest that history, or remembering or discovering what happened need not be boring. Remembering who was your favourite Dr and where/what you were at the time can help with the restoration of all kinds of things: friendship, family; gardens I also put it in to divert spectre away from spraying weed killer on Johns' dream garden.

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

Oh, brother. Or "Bother", as Eeyore would intone.

• ginger_nh
    20 years ago

The above response was in answer to Mel's post, not yours, INK. I'm not a fan of Who, Spock, etc. Bor-ring . . . sorry.

That was a good ploy to keep spectre away from John's garden, 'tho.

My favorite Dr took my appendix out at age 10 . . .

• the_wizard_from_oz
    19 years ago

ATTENTION INKognito: in the name of REAL historical accuracy, the Doctors were:
    William HARTNELL 1963-66
    Patrick TROUGHTON 1966-69
    John PERTWEE 1970-74
    Tom BAKER 1974-81
    Peter DAVISON 1982-84
    Colin BAKER 1984-86
    Sylvester McCOY 1987-96
    Paul McGANN 1996-2001

...you should note that your posting, or the work of Mr Schott, contains an overlap between the times of Peter DAVISON & Colin BAKER, unless there were two Doctors 1984-86

my source is the official BBC website, at:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/doctors/index.shtml

...however, i have also watched doctor who from its first episode screened in australia, around september 1963, around my 6th birthday

our national broadcaster, the ABC, is currently playing them through again, since the 40th anniversary last september. we are up to halfway through john pertwee currently.

the wizard from oz

• RckyM21
    19 years ago

Wow. I was ready to name my favorite Doctor. In my eyes the Doctor in mind still is. But as I get older I feel more like the monk who will rewrite history for his vision of the betterment of mankind. Or the Grandfather who omits something to make the past more pleasing. So in defense of all the Doctors I am going to say they were all equally great and entertaining.

O.K...........The fourth doctor was my favorite. Historical accuracy starts without erasing my original prejudice and favoritism. I guess polotics and favoritism really is history. And Dr. Who seemed like an old show even to me when I was a kid. And British besides. It was Dr. who that introduced me to the B.B.C. And for that I'm greatfull.

When I was a kid riding my bicycle through a rainstorm. Just because!! Lightening all the better. Typical boy. I would all of a sudden remember DR. WHO is on....OH S..T!!! Hurry back home dripping in mud. Leaving my bike laying in the woods on the trial where it was too steep and muddy to bike up. Soaking wet. Sneaking into the house so as not to miss a minute. Turning on the T.V. hoping the volume wasnt blasting. My grandfather was hard of hearing and left it on high.Really high :). Prepared to stand on a paper grocery bag until the next long commercial. I was considerate even at that age of boyhood :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!And to find a Doctor who I hated was airing that day. I hated that. Even a repeat of the fourth doctor was better than some doctor I didnt like. And hate is a strong word to use. So back out the door and into whatever trouble I could get into.

I love all the doctors now. And would love to watch them again.

Sorry if I interrupted a thread. Nobody I knew growing up liked Dr. Who. And the fourth one wore those odd clothing matches. So my friends took the surface value of the show as a nerdy geek like program. You knowÂ? I just might be looking forward to this years Halloween. I would dress like Dr. Who for the kick of it. I still remember the scarf, hat and coat. IÂd need a wig for the curly hair. And IÂve never been one to dress up for Halloween. Dr. Who is way cool and hip. WouldnÂt mind that at all.

Rick.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Rcky--I KNEW I liked you. I have this theory--we all fall in love with our first...Doctor. Tom Baker is most Americans' favorite...because he's the one PBS was airing. I didn't Discover the Doctor until I was in graduate school in 1982. He made a great diversion from Beowulf...which I was translating for my Old English class.

My older boy remembers the Doctor--by the time the younger was of an appropriate age (at our house that was 4 or 5!) Local PBS was no longer airing it--and we didn't have cable--OR access to the videos. He is Doctor Deprived. He DOES have most of Python memorized-so we didn't neglect his education COMPLETELY. I'm hopinghe'll pick up the Doctor in a few years--I'm afraid he'd find it hopelessly cheesy right now. One must be either young enough not to CARE about the cheese factor (say--6) or old enough to suspend disbelief and ignore the cheese factor--and 15 is neither...

After Tom Baker my favorite Doctor is Jon Pertwee. My favorite nemesis? Why the Daleks--of COURSE!

melanie

PS--sorry Ginger--hope you have the good sense NOT to read this post!

• Cady
    19 years ago

Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor, too. I also enjoyed his memorable role in the made-for-television production of "The Chronicles of Narnia."

Okay, now for best Sherlock Holmes, in descending order:

Jeremy Brett
    Basil Rathbone (despite the lame scripts he had to work with)

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Oh, Jeremy Brett, definitive interpretation. I find Basil unwatchable--but it IS the scripts...particularly remeber the Nazi one...

oy.

melanie

• RckyM21
    19 years ago

Holy Mackerel.. You liked the Chronicles of Narnia.

The Lion ,Witch and Wardrobe.

Loyd Alexander. Gurgi and "Taran The Wanderer." Crunchies and Munchies? The Black Cauldron. High king etc.

That was my first introduction to freedom of the mind. The first time I experienced the feeling of human nature having that desire to be footloose. Eventually we follow a way. A path and take the first steps into the unknown.

"Think before you act"!!!!Was all I can remeber Taran teaching me. I still havent practiced that wisdom. Always impulsive am I.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions