Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
front garden

Posted by plotkes (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 18:52

Hello,
my front garden is a mudbath mixed with lots of weeds. I would now like to lay new grass and dont know how to go about it to ensure that the weeds do not grow through the new grass. Please can you help ?

Thanks,
Naomi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: front garden

Depending on how large the area is, you could lay clear plastic over the area and let the sun kill the existing weeds. Then lightly till the area to encourage any dormant weed seeds to sprout and after they do, lay the plastic down a second time. If you repeat this process two or three times you should be able to lay any type of sod on top of your soil and not have to worry about weeds growing up through it.

That's the organic method. The unorganic way is to spray with roundup to kill the weeds, scratch up the soil to raise any dormant seeds and spray again. then lay your sod. A lot of people prefer the quick way to the organic method.

Pros for the organic method, no chemicals.
Cons: it takes longer.

Pros for the chemical method, it's faster
Cons: You still have to wait about two weeks for the chemical to disappear into the soil and it may last long enough to damage your sod. Guys who lay the sod will tell you that it disapears faster than that.
Cheryl

o
Front garden

So how did your front garden turn out? I would love to see some pictures, or if not, just like to get a progress report. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here