Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandimitri

How do i best plan my garden so something is always in bloom?

DanDimitri
11 years ago

I was at a friend's house who had an amazing garden that he noted always has something in bloom down to the week. I'd like to do the same with my boring garden. What is the easiest way to plan a new garden that has flowers planned to bloom throughout the seasons and within the seasons?

Comments (9)

• DanDimitri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx...my friend is more of a friend of a friend so not too comfortable asking him to brain dump all his knowledge to me.

Spreadsheets sounds good but I'm really starting from scratch here. Is there a website or software tool that can help out here?

Tx again for your and anyone's response.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

You've pretty much asked people on a forum to do some extensive research for you... without providing any input yourself.

Being in zone 4 and purple in zone 8, we're probably not too familiar with what's easily available for zone 6. If you want annuals, they "generally" bloom continuously from the minute you put them in the ground until frost knocks them down.

If it's perennials your looking for - you'll have to research names of plants for your zone that you like and note their usual bloom time - which is pretty much once a season with a little give and take according to weather and the other usual conditions. Then you buy X because it blooms in May, Y because it blooms in June, Z because it blooms in August... well, you get the picture.

Head for the library or surf the net for things like zone 6 garden calendar bloom times, etc.

I have quite a few garden areas - I've never bothered with spread sheets and rely on reading the plant tags when I'm looking at new aquisitions.

• on_greenthumb
    11 years ago

I use perennials.com - they used to have a great search feature where you could plug in your zone, the colour you wanted, the conditions and the time of year you wanted the bloom. They've changed the format this year, so it's not quite as simple, but the back ended data is still there. I haven't fooled around with the new interfaces enough.

• DanDimitri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the perennials.com tip...sounds exactly what I'm looking for. But I've gone to that site, and tried to find the link to the app you are referring to but couldn't. Could you paste the link to the actual site on their webpage that has that tool?

Tx,
    Dan

• MissMyGardens
    11 years ago

See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Advanced Perennial Search

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    11 years ago

Or you can go monthly to a nursery near you and buy 3 of something you like in Bloom. Although Spring sales are full of early forced blooms. Still and all, it's the lazy way.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I love that perennial site too. Thanks for posting it. We just got the keys to 1.4 acres of WORK! Overgrown is an understatement!! The property is flat in some places and sloped from gentle to steep in most. There are areas of full sun, dappled sun, and deep shade!

Our new zone is 9a, and I think monthly visits to a nursery to buy 3 of something I like in bloom is ideal! I'm going to go this week and pick up 3 Perennial's. LOVE that idea!!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Use shrubs and perennials for the main part of your garden, with bulbs in front. When the bulbs finish blooming, add some annuals, if you like lots of color and blooms.

I love old-fashioned plants, so I have hyacinths, daffodils, tulips, lilacs, peonies, shrub roses, lavender, daisies, coneflowers, salvia, hyssop, woodland phlox, sweet woodruff, bee balm, butterfly bushes, pontilia, red twig dogwood, even some apple and plum trees. Everything except the roses, are deer proof, in our area.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner