Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsacoon

heritage lilies

elsacoon
15 years ago

I love old time lilies for their perfume, vigour, and diverse forms. I came across a fabulous article describing some of the best at [HYPERLINK@www.demosnews.com] ("home" section, or search for lilies.) Can't wait to plant some!

Comment (1)

• hld6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi again Elsa,

Since this is the same message you posted on the Lily Forum I will copy my same reply. Please know that this is not to personally give you a hard time but the article you cite contains so MANY inaccuracies about lilies I want to make sure that others are not lead astray by it.

Hi Elsa,
    While I in general agree with the sentiments expressed in the article I wonder how much of the authors "conclusions" were instead (poorly researched, if at all) pre-conceived ideas.

For example the author writes:

"Most recent hybrids tend to blur ubiquitously: large, upward facing, rigid, stocky, scentless, differing from one another only in tint."

Scentless???
    Unlike modern hybrid roses (many of which have minimal scent) hybridization in "modern" lilies has not resulted in decreased scent. Instead, scent in lilies is a function of which "old time" or species lilies were used in the hybridization. After all many species are scentless naturally - including some of those cited in her article! For example, Lilium Superbum, Pardalinium, and Tigrinium.

Stocky???
    A curious statement considering that most "modern" Oriental and Trumpet lilies get 4' to 6' tall and "modern" Orienpets get to 9' and taller!!

Upward facing???
    I guess the author has missed out on Casablanca - a VERY well known outward facing modern oriental hybrid and the large number of downward facing highly recurved lankongense hybrids from The Lily Garden, and the Longiflorum - Oriental easter lily shaped "modern" hybrids. (All scented, by the way.)

It seems she is talking mostly about hybrid asiatics, which like the species asiatics are not scented. Asiatics bloom at a different time from the other lily divisions and thus are not competitive with them, (as long as your garden is large enough to accomodate both).

While I love species lilies and have every one cited in her article (and many others), I find this article to be full of gross oversimplifications and inaccuracies.

One example, the author writes: "With great regret Ive given up trying to grow Madonna lilies (L.candidum). Pure white, enormous, ... Perhaps our New England soil is too sour, or bulbs nowadays compromised."

While the Madonna Lily (Lilium Candidum) has growing requirements different from other lilies, if those are understood and met, it grows quite well. I currently have a large patch of them grown from seed. Also, while it IS pure white it is certainly NOT enormous, (even if compared to other species lilies rather than hybrids). It gets about 3' tall and has relatively small (though lovely and beautifully scented) blossoms.

Furthermore, the lilies she cites are in no danger of disappearing. With the exception of Lilium Superbum (which is more easily found from native plant nurseries than lily bulb sellers), every one of them can be found from a number of outfits, including the much maligned large Dutch growers. They are also MUCH more affordable than from the nursery cited in the article.

So Elsa, by all means get yourself some species and heritage lilies - they are lovely! But don't feel that the only way to do that is from nurseries that specialize in only them (read $$$$$) or that they are the only type of unique, beautiful, and scented lilies. There is a wide variety of shapes of blossoms, sizes, colors and scents among hybrid lilies, modern and heritage.

Off my soapbox now! :)

-Helen