Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oak tree dilemma

Posted by roni_inor 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 11:51

Hi,
I'm trying to decide whether to remove an oak tree that is increasingly blocking sun from my vegetable garden. This is the only place I can put the garden, and it's one of my greatest pleasures. The tree was planted by the previous owner, so it can't be more than 10 years old. Cutting down a tree feels so unethical to me, though, and I'm wondering if I should just suck it up in the interests of nature! Can anyone lend perspectives, justifications to help me feel better about it, thoughts on whether planting trees elsewhere (and/or contributing to the arbor day foundation) 'makes up for it'?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oak tree dilemma

Could you thin the tree? It is so important to our/your environment. I don't want you to feel bad - but I don't think I could take a tree down - now maybe if it weren't an oak. Tell me if it is a native oak....if it's not I think I could change my mind....LOL

o

I had probably 25 old and huge oaks on my property when I moved here in '07. Also there were some young, clearly "store bought" oaks planted in a stupid area.
I cut the young ones down without remorse.
I have also had to have two old oaks taken out because they were dead and I still mourned each one of them like an old friend.

So yes I could remove a young one but would need medication to just cut down a healthy old one.

Makes no sense, I know.

o

Cearbhaill,

What you are saying makes total sense to me. I moved to Nova Scotia in 2007 to an old farmstead with a lot of trees and I honestly didn't know one tree from another except some were big, some were small. I have since learned that some are really worth trying to preserve and some simply aren't. AND, if one is about to fall on your house in a bad storm, well it's got to go, and to weep is appropriate.

o

roni, if you're still out there, curious what you decided?

o

Not sure what grows under oaks, but many plants love shade, and an oak will blanket the ground with mulch (falling leaves), so as long as the roots are plant friendly, might be ok to keep it.

I had a beautiful shade garden on one side of my house. THEN came the dreaded day the house sold, and the new neighbor took out the tree and ruined my eco-system!

Good luck whatever you decide! We took out some huge Eucalyptus trees threatening our house during high winds. Had to hire a company to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here