Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

whew! finished! (except for the landscaping, furniture, etc.)

mjsee
19 years ago

Y'all asked for it--here it is--the link to my new on line album. Here is ONE picture to whet your appetites...

I never thought we'd finish...thanks for all the support. Bought a "New Dawn" climber to plant at the top of the wall--will be buying some more "old roses" later in the week--or perhaps ordering from Ashdown.

The bed you catch a glimpse of in the picture is filled with cosmos and white cleome--it's in full sun from 8:30 AM until about 2:00 PM. I plan to plant perennials this fall...will certainly be asking for opinions!

Sorry Tessa--DH put his foot down about me getting up on the roof. Probably wouldn't have been high enough anyway...

I'd suggest clicking the option that lets you "view oldest first"--the captions make more sense.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• tessasdca
    19 years ago

That is truly a fabulous wall! And steps and walk, and . . .
    I was able to get a better idea of the layout, even without the risk to life and limb of a climb to the roof top. I think you had enough excitment hostessing a bash so soon after completion.
    You must have an incredible feeling of accomplishment. Do you go out in the morning with your morning cuppa and just sit and gaze at it? :) Does your son have all his friends come over to see what HIS mom did while he was off at school?
    Which end is the New Dawn going in? Will it tumble over the wall or climb over the bars? For your OGRs, I love Mme.s Pierre Oger, Louise Odier, Isaac Pereire, Ernest Calvat, Yolande de Aragon, and Comte de Chambord - just as a start. Such fragrance you'd have!

Tess

• phdnc
    19 years ago

RG (Rock Goddess ) A job well done!! Thanks for the walk thru. A fine beginning to end project file for Garden Restoration.
    Perry

• mjsee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

*blushes* Thanks! I AM feeling rather pleased with myself--and I DID have my morning coffee out there. And my afternoon tea, and a beer yesterday evening...it's rather like being a new mom--in a weird way. All I want to do is gaze lovingly at "my" handiwork...except it doesn't need feeding and changing(!).

Perry--glad you think I did an OK job documenting. I really worked at it...the only thing I would do differently is I would take MORE "before" pictures.

The New Dawn will be going in at either the left end of the bed (if you are looking OVER the rail with the driveway at your back) or the center...I bought it on reccommendation of the person at the nursery--who said it got to be 10-12 feet. THEN I looked it up on GW--goodness. "Rank grower--upwards of 20ft+..." I think I'll be whacking it back! Given that growth habit it'll probably go up AND over the fence! DH fell in love with Westerland--but the bush they had at the nursery was expensive and somewhat puny...am going to see if I can find something similar at another rose nursery--otherwise I'll go back and get the Westerland we saw. (Or perhaps order one from Ashdown.)

I don't spray--so I need roses that are disease resistant. Black Spot and (to a lesser degree) powdery mildew are real problems down here. I have a buff beauty pillar that has done really well...am hoping New Dawn lives up to it's reputation for disease resistance.

I'll post a picture once the roses are in!

melanie

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Wow, melanie, great wall! You've managed to take a challenging slope and create a wonderful place to live and garden!
    Can't wait to see your roses.
    Jo

• JillP
    19 years ago

I am suffering from severe stone and brick envy.

• Redthistle
    19 years ago

Yep, JillP, me too!

• mjsee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Can't do anythinga bout the stone and brick envy...but thank you! the roses, with the exception of hte New Dawn I planted yesterday, may be on hold, unless Ashdown's is still shipping. (Waiting to hear from them.) Turns out the OTHER nursery I planned to get roses from doesn't grow their own, they are all from CA. And the ones they have for sale RIGHT NOW have not been vetted against SOD...and I am a TAD paranoid.(I have a yard full of oaks.) I know roses are not KNOWN to be a carrier, but still...

I really shouldn't plant this late anyway.

melanie

• momcat2000
    19 years ago

well done, your garden will have "great bones" to grow on......

• Barbara_Schwarz
    19 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, Melanie! You deserve to feel like a new mom...yummy yummy yummy!

Someday I hope to have walkways and stone work as lovely as yours...again, it's a "when daddy's house is finished" situation. But I'm afraid the 72 windows for the green house stacked on the back patio will have to be addressed first....sigh. Hey, I'll trade you your stonemason skills for my tile setting ones .....???? It's time for a road trip!

Barbara

• mjsee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Barbara--I don't think I QUITE qualify for "stone mason" yet--but I had a lot of fun. 72 windows? Wow. That'll be QUITE a greenhouse! Have been thinking about you and your epic house repair--can't send you much more than good thoughts and positive energy...but you've got THOSE!

melanie

• Cady
    19 years ago

Whooooo-Wheeee! Great job, Melanie! The ramp is fabtabulous and everything works together.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Cady,momcat,etc. Still waiting for my friend's kid to come over and "christen" the ramp...he's still recovering from his freshman year at college. (As is MY kid.)

melanie

Sponsored
More Discussions