Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karroog

New House front lawn and garden are horrible, need tips for garde

Karroog
10 years ago

As the subject suggests, I have a new place that I have moved into with a front lawn and garden area. Lawn area is about 4000 square foot, is uncared for but just needs some overseeding and fertilzer and it should be ok.

My concern is over what use to be the flower gardens. There are two islands near the edge of our road and the section on the front of the house. There is a front porch that the garden warps around. I am unsure what the previous owners did, but its completely horrible.

Top layer looks like red mulch, then dried soil, pebble rock (Is this even correct to do?) and then plastic tarp. It looks horrible. They had cut certain shrubs that use to be there down to the root. On top of that the edge is being overrun by the grass.

My plan of attack was to dig it all up till I get potentially to actual moist dirt or to where the plastic tarp is at (ripping it up of course). After that I'm completely lost and I need some direction.

The front of the house points south, so it gets decent sun for most of the day. We are looking to put in shrubs and annuals hopefully. What is the order of operations for layering for a flower garden? Once I have those basics I bet I can get my head around everything else, but I never talked anything like this before.

Thanks to all again for your help! Any information that might be helpful I will post as best as I can.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions