Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden make over

Posted by Reese87 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:26

Hello! im having trouble creating a tropical garden look. Want to have depth and color. It is half shade/partial shade till about after 4 gets full sun. I have multiples of canna lilys, elephant ears, hibiscus, calla lilys, gerbera daisys, amaryllis, split leaf philodendron, hostas, giant white birds of paradise, normal birds of paradise, miniature rose bush, silver lady fern, iris, & daisys. Its what i own, that id like to be planted here. I just cant get things to look right.. I was left this garden, so theres an orange tree, avocado tree and a few elephant ears, and japanese aralia already established. I am willing to buy other plants if needed. & i cant measure the space cuz i cant find a measuring tape at the moment.. Any help is very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden make over

Heres another shot of the garden

This post was edited by Reese87 on Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:35

o

Being too far removed from your zone, I can't offer anything regarding tropical/tropical looking plants.

On first glance at your pictures, though, it seems all the planting is in a line - you can't get lush depth that way. I googled the images for tropical gardens and came away with the idea that most were very carefully planned "accidents" - which is no doubt the look you're trying to achieve. Mixtures of shape, texture, color all being layered with good effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical garden images

o

Hi, I viewed your garden carefully and it doesn't look really bad. I even like the big space you have there. I think, it will only need a touch of creativity putting some colorful plants and flowers around to have more impact or rather be like more of a tropical paradise. Goodluck! I know you will be able to have a better one.

o

You have some great plants as a backbone. I used to live in your zone and one of the first things I did was establish a "living fence" with star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). It will need strong support such as lattice but you will have an evergreen background for your tropicals with a delightful fragrance when it blooms. Once established, I pruned it heavily once a year to keep it vertical and contained.
Good luck!

If adding plants I would add more multiples for color (canna, hibiscus), height, and texture. Remember the rule of planting in odd-numbered triangles to add depth ((3-5-7-9). Perhaps a dwarf lily of the nile (agapanthus "Peter Pan") woven throughout will provide a low-maintenance filler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here