Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

ack

inkognito
19 years ago

There is a thread going on at the japanese garden forum ("ack") where some issues pertinent to restoration are being discussed, not my teasing question but edzards answer.

Comments (23)

• mjsee
    19 years ago

And a clickable link provided by GR's chief link-provider!

melski

Here is a link that might be useful: SO much easier to find...

• ginny12
    19 years ago

ACK? I thought this was going to be about Nantucket.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

????????

I am conFUSed!

What has Ack to do with Nantucket?

melanie

• John_D
    19 years ago

Nant- ACK -ett?

• Cady
    19 years ago

Ginny,
    That would have been NKT. I think ACK is Adirondacks.

• ginny12
    19 years ago

ACK is the airport abbreviation/designation for the Nantucket airport. People addicted to Nantucket or, sorry to say, some who want to show how cool they are, put little oval signs in their car window saying ACK. Or include it on their auto vanity plates. Or some other irrelevant place. For all I know, it's on T-shirts. Thus you see ACK in very unlikely places around New England, but elsewhere as well.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Ah! Enlightenment. Those white football-shaped decals drive me batty.

• ginny12
    19 years ago

Sorry--I saw "ACK" and got an attack of the sillies.

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bye Bye!

• ZephirineD
    19 years ago

Oh my! "Ack" indeed!

Do family members never talk to each other???

As for my own garden restoration, my FIL is now going to play a significant part, as he is in the process of purchasing the house next door. Combined, we'll have 2/3 of an acre of this once 30-acre farm/orchard -- hardly a significant portion, but since our two lots are the oldest, together we have most of the original owners' personal garden space. (The third lot that the OO used to garden is now occupied by four rental units, unfortunately. I am, needless to say, both relieved and delighted that the lot next door won't get more 2-story apartments built on it.)

Of course, I won't cut down any of his trees, not even the "junk" trees, without his express permission, as I know that he adores all trees for their own sakes -- and likewise, he won't be pruning any of mine!

Love,

Claudia

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"It's nice to debate whether we should view intentional human manipulation of anothers garden as yet another "act of nature," but in my opinion wind, lightning strikes and hungry deer are more of a taoistic thing that produce random results, while the lopper-wielding human represents a deliberate, rational force that produces a calculated result.

If you want to argue that humans are creatures of nature; hence, any action they take is natural, then you probably could get away with the hack job as an "act of nature," but then you would also have to include nuclear bombs, toxic chemical dumps and biochemical warfare in that category too"

Cady wrote this which is what I was driving at.
    Any body else see how this might be relevant to garden restoration?

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Well....sometimes we have to restore that which others have screwed up...either through ignorance, neglect, or both...but I'm not certain if htat is what you were reffering to? OR perhaps--one person's restoration is another's hack job...

Y'all will have to excuse me. I'm suffering from SERIOUS allergies, and between the coughing and the congestion I'm pretty stupid right now. Why do stuffed sinuses slow down my brain? Perhaps it's the pressure! On the bright side,my abs look great. Who needs crunches when you can hack your lungs out? Helluva way to get ready for bathing suit season.

Sorry about the whining!

melanie

• ZephirineD
    19 years ago

This comment has nothing to do with garden restoration, either, but:

I love you, MJSEE!!! ;-D

Love,

Claudia

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Actually--"ack ack ack" is the sound I'm making these days--rather like a famous cartoon cat...
    perhaps I have a hairball?

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1187149}}

• Barbara_Schwarz
    19 years ago

mjsee-

So sorry about the allergies - no fun. FYI, we call coughing up hairballs "gacking" rather than "acking"... and Petromalt works wonders ;-)

Love,

Barbara

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I want to express my chagrin at the way this thread has been trivialised. Not for the first time I have tried to drag the level of discussion away from the juvenile and yet this seems to be the preferred form. So; have it your way.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Sorry- Ink--I DID try...just didn't stick with it. I'll reiterate my question--Did you mean the said thread was relevant because:

Sometimes we have to restore that which others have screwed up...either through ignorance, neglect, or both--OR perhaps--one person's restoration is another's hack job?

My apologies... I shall keep my allergies out of this.

melanie

• Barbara_Schwarz
    19 years ago

Oops  guess IÂm in trouble for "playing". My apologies if I offend.

In defense of being juvenile, fun loving, lighthearted, what have you. IÂm perfectly content to be all those, as well as irreverent, and make no excuses for who I am. Some put great import on all that they say, do, or are involved in. Others have reasons they choose not to take much of anything very seriously, much to the chagrin of those who do. IÂm, obviously, of the latter persuasion - possibly due to my watching my mother die for 11 years as AlzheimerÂs robbed her of all that made her who she was. Or maybe it was holding a skeletal 5 year-old as he was dying of malnutrition. Or having watched wonderful people die from inoperable brain tumors. Honestly, everything else IS trivial, interesting, yes, but certainly no child with a brain tumor.

Life is too short not to delight in everything around me, and find joy and laughter every chance I get. IÂm just saddened you were unable to play along.

Barbara

• ginny12
    19 years ago

A most fervent hooray for you, Barbara. I couldn't agree more. Our family also walked the brain tumor journey and buried someone deeply loved and at the height of life. I thought I would never rejoice again, and part of me never has and never will. But gardening, as Bacon once said, is the purest of human pleasures. It is a joyous activity and there is a place in it for silliness. That might mean blowing the fuzz from a dandelion, installing a flock of plastic flamingos--or finding amusement in a word like "ack". So here's to our gardens. May they always bring us joy and the effervescent pleasure of silliness.

• John_D
    19 years ago

That's the problem with professional landscape designers: too many of the ilk take themselves too darn serious and thus rarely design gardens you can relax and be silly in.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Barbara--YOU aren't in trouble for playing--I just felt like I had hijacked the thread--as is my wont! It's a less than admirable habit.

John--have yet to find ANYWHERE I can't relax and be silly in...least of all a GARDEN. Gets kind-of embarrassing at church sometimes--at least for my DH.

melanie

• Cady
    19 years ago

BRAPPPFFFFHHHHTHHPHTH!

Hey! Who farted??!!!!!???

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Cady, m'love--you are incorrigible. I do adore you! (and all my GW "buddies".)

melanie/still having "hair-ball" moments...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions