Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ding Yew

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 21:38

My parents have some old yew foundation hedges that have been injured by snowplows.

Since they have gaps and have sort of...died back in the front, I'm planting around them with bulbs and perennial herbs.

The concern is, I planted Echinacea, Bee Balm, and False Indigo. Will any of these plants smother the Yews?

What flowering plants can survive at the foot of yews?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ding Yew

Chances are better that the yews will smother other plantings... once they start to regenerate. Yews regenerate from old wood so you can prune out any really dead yew material for cosmetic reasons. I think, though, that it's a little late in the season for any heavy pruning - late winter/early spring is a good time for that. New growth tips can be cut back after the new growth is complete in early summer.

I have a short yew hedge that routinely gets deer chewed when natural food is scarce (Not this year since it was buried under very deep snow) and it bounces back like a trooper. Odd things find their way into this little hedge - forget-me-nots, ferns, Virginia creeper, American elm seedlings. They coexist quite well until I remove them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here