Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harleylady_gw

Historic Home - Garden Restoration

harleylady
17 years ago

I recently purchased a home that is on the national registry of historic places and have been giving a great deal of thought to how to do the garden so that it will reflect the period of the house and complement it and also how to gracefully include the collector and zonal denial plants to which I'm addicted.

The only early illustration of the house that I have is from 1878, just 4 years after it was built, and it shows a dirt yard with a few trees and shrubs.

I have been researching to see what sort of garden if any a pioneer farmer in Oregon might have had in the 19th century. I didn't believe that there would have been time or energy for much ornamental gardening. Well, this weekend I received from the previous owner the most fantastic document with quotes from family members about the gardens in the early 20th century. Am very excited to find out that the original owner collected plant oddities so my penchant for the weird would be appropriate to this garden. While I'm not going to try to reproduce the garden exactly as it was, this will be very useful in planning a garden that's appropriate.

This is a quote from a letter that the original owner's granddaughter wrote:

"The orchards I told you about had many varieties of trees--little pickling pears and even a huge one-pound pear (this was kept all winter before it was ready to use). Grandpa evidently liked to collect a variety of oddities--such as the Coffee tree, the Slippery elms tree (the shavings of this tree were boiled and the liquid used on the hair to help hold the curl), and the Glory-Monday apple tree--all in the back yard. This apple was really a good producer and a huge sized fruit."

And it has this description from another relative of what the garden was like in 1908/1909:

"When Aunt Ida lived in the house, there were orchards to the south and away from the house; they contained exotic small pears, some pears of other varieties, plums, and apples. Around the house was a quite neat, formal yard, nothing like what they have there now, wth a large lawn of grass in front of the house and to the south of the house, under the parlor windows. In the back of the house, the ground was covered with large violets, up to the house; there was just a smalll porch and a neat pathway leading out towards the outbuildings to the southwest. The deck that is now is not original. But I remember those violets, they covered the ground. There was also a Glory-Monday tree behind the house and a bing cherry tree. To the north and west of the house, where the scale house was there were grape vines, raspberries and pear trees, and the Cedar tree which is still there. Just in front of the center porch of the house, along the walkway, Aunt Ida planted sweet peas. Just off the front porch, as you stood just out of the front door, down to the left was a ground cover of Aaron's Beard. The rather formal front yard was framed by a fence, much like the one in the 1878 Atlas, and the boardwalk ran all the way from the front porch out towards the main street of town. Uncle Tom would stroll to town to get the mail and have his daily visit with the town croonies [sic]. I guess grandpa did the same when he lived in the big house. Along the inside of the fence was a neat row of boxwoods, all neatly trimmed and clipped, there were some Peonies and Snowball bushes in the front also, towards the southeast corner of the fenced part. Vegetables were never planted near the house, Aunt Ida's yard was always neat and formal."

Comments (13)

• sammie070502
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have a photo? I'd love to see the house. I grew up in a house that was built in 1876 (Central California). Ours was built by the richest guy in the neighborhood, so even though it was in farming country, he tried to incorporate the trendiest Victorian finery--you know those crazy Victorians--they would have loved, loved, loved to get their hands on today's colorful foliage plants, euphorbias, cannas, phormium etc. They were keenly interested in travel and the allure of the orient and the near east so unusual or imported plants would have been prized and too many would never have been enough! Carpet gardens and knot gardens surrounding urns were of-the-time and we had remenants of both. Surviving from the original or ancient plantings on our property were palms, agave, kniphofia, pelargoniums and a fig tree. It's weird how all this abundance and flaming bad taste ran parallel with violets, pansies and cabbage roses--go figure! Maybe the ones who installed the cannas, bananas, caladiums etc. in the 1870's were the same ones putting up the mod foil wallpaper in the 1970's.

On another topic--if you aren't familiar with The Old House Journal from the old days--way back in the 70's when it was printed on a couple of folded pieces of manilla paper--you should try to look at these back issues. They are way better and more relevant than the currently available magazines. They featured real homeowners really doing things themselves. Todays magazines seem to feature complete renovations rather than restoration or maintenance. And, too often IMO, they focus on what can be accomplished by teams of experts with huge budgets rather than on what can be done by savvy homeowners with time, hard work, and attention to detail.

• harleylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sammie, here's a link to my webshots where there are a few pictures of the house. I'm envious of your childhood Victorian! The Porter house is very simple inside. Although it was considered one of the finest houses in the county in the 19th century, ornamentation is minimal--no fancy gingerbread outside or fancy woodwork inside, only a tiny bit of stained glass in the front door surround, etc.

Thanks for the tip on the early Old House Journals--I'll see if I can track them down. On another forum I was directed to digitized "Garden and Forest" considered the most influential magazine on gardening and landscaping that shaped America for generations. The 1888 - 1897 versions are available online. Hours of interesting reading:

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/prd/gardfor/gfhome.html

Here is a link that might be useful: David P. Porter House

• sammie070502
    17 years ago

Wow, that is one amazing magazine. I didn't know anything about it--and the fact that it's searchable on-line... thank you Library of Congress! Pretty erudite fare compared to the typical magazine today. I'll tell my Mom about it--she's interested in the historical approach and the closer to pioneer/homesteader, the better.

• inkognito
    17 years ago

Andrew Jackson Downing is probably your man also FL Olmsted as these were active in the change from horticulture as a branch of agriculture to something akin to architecture.

• inkognito
    17 years ago

Don't you just hate it when a thread drops off like that with you the last poster, my analyst says its paranoia but what do you think?

• sammie070502
    17 years ago

I sometimes feel like I am poison to the threads I join--I write something...then the eerie sound of crickets. For what it's worth, I thought your Andrew Jackson Downing reference was bang-on accurate. Especially with what HL posted about the apples and pears of the early residents.

• harleylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My analyst told me "Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." Seriously, my apologies...no slight intended to you inkognito or you sammie. I wrote a reply a couple nights ago while in the middle of moving and with family visiting--got interrupted before I hit send and one of the GKs closed my windows.

I doubt I can totally recapture what I wrote but the A.J. Downing reference is excellent. I saw a list of books owned by Porter now in the possession of a previous owner. He had books on a wide variety of subjects including math,chemistry, history, politics, government, religion, psychology, philosophy and psychology. Porter was a schoolteacher before he became a successful farmer, but he had books on agriculture as well. The very first one on the list is Fruit and Fruit Trees of America, A.J. Downing, 1857--so there you have your apples and pears. He also had Elliott's Fruit Book, F.R. Elliott, 1858; American Dairying, H.B. Gurler, 1894; The Beekeepers Dictionary, J.S. Harbison, 1861; Hooper's Western Fruit Book, E.J. Hooper, 1857.

I love gardening but am not knowledgeable about design and designers so read a bit on Downing after your post. His view that architecture should be functional is very much in keeping with the Porter house and what I've learned about Mr. Porter's values and the kind of man he was. The house's design is extremely practical. Even if he never saw a copy of "Cottage Residences" or "Architecture of Country Houses", I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Porter was influenced by Downing in more than choice of fruit trees. The house is designed for good air flow, protection from the wind and other considerations that Downing also valued. It even has rural gothic characteristics. I think they thought enough alike that I could safely use some of Downing's plans from the above books for some direction in capturing the time and making the garden something that David Porter would approve, even as it grew and changed over a century or more. I'm going to look for some of the Downing books that have been reprinted. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

• sammie070502
    17 years ago

HL--have you come to any conclusions about how to incorporate your collector's plants into your plans?

• harleylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sammie, sorry for the slow reply. We closed escrow on our old house on the 1st and we can't get into the new old house until ~ July 5. We're staying with friends on their rural farm and I've only been able to get to town/internet access briefly to handle critical email and banking, etc.

No conclusions yet. I've been out to the property a few times to water all the container plants that I moved and each time I'm there I wander about, see it in new light, get new perspectives and ideas. I think I'm going to have to spend considerable time on the property and really get to know it before I begin to formulate a long-term plan. In the past, I've found that properties begin to "speak" to me after a while and in this case, I haven't heard her voice yet. I've considered the idea of just having one garden area with the collector plants but then I would have difficulty accommodating each of their specific needs for light, moisture, etc. and I really don't want a plant museum. If I work them into the existing plantings as well as new areas I'll develop, I'll have a wide variety of sun and shade areas, moist and dry soil, etc. And I think Mr. Porter would appreciate my "oddities" around the garden.

• catkin
    17 years ago

Just wanted to say hi to Harley Lady! Been to any plant swaps lately! :)

• harleylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Cat, finally got into our new house and then it took us several weeks to get our PC satellite dish installed. Haven't been to any swaps lately although I have lots of pass-along plants to give away in order to make room for the hundreds of plants I brought from the last house. If you or anyone wants free plants and can travel to the central Willamette Valley to pick them up, just let me know.

• daniel_798
    17 years ago

Take a look at http://www.artoftheeast.com . That site has some interesting information on the history Chinese Scrolls and Ceramics. They also sell some amazing Chinese Scrolls and Ceramics.

• seamommy
    17 years ago

HL, just saw this post and fell in love with the house. What a lovely place. I don't know much about historic homes or garden styles of other periods because I have never studied anything like that. All I can say is, what a sweet dilemma you have! I wish you the best of luck with it and many long and blissful hours in your beautiful garden. Cheryl

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions