Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild2_gw

Old Time Shrubs

flowerchild2
19 years ago

We have a 1780 Colonial in zone 5. I have heirloom/historic perennial beds, but need to put new shrubs along the front of the house and along the side. The front is full sun, the side is full shade. Any ideas to keep with my theme?

Comments (6)

• inkognito
    19 years ago

This question is too vague for anything other than guesses.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Not so. Here's a link to info on a garden that was created using plants appropriate to a 1794 church in CT. There was another thread on this forum a while back that provided some other resources for reference, such as books, etc.
    A web search for historic garden info should turn up some more, but with a lot a wading thru irrelevant stuff, no doubt.
    This should as least get you started.
    Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ginny12
    19 years ago

Flowerchild2--Your question is a good one and there are lots of resources as SayPoint as mentioned. I'd start with Ann Leighton's book about American gardens in the eighteenth century. That will be easy to get thru your library. If they don't have it, they can get it for you for free thru interlibrary loan. Then I'd do an internet search on Google using all relevant terms, "historic shrubs", "historic plants" and so on.

Try to make a list of gardens open to the public of your era and your time. Both Monticello and Mount Vernon are major gardening sites. Tho they are in the South, much of their information is relevant to all the 13 original colonies. They did not have the number of plants and cultivars we have today.

I can't think of a significant public historic garden of your period in NH other than Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth. They have lots of garden resources and I would say a visit and contacting them are in order for you. Fun and great food in Portsmouth!

This is only the beginning of what could be an exciting and fun project for you. Take your time and enjoy it. A few final tips--

1--They didn't use foundation plantings in your house's period. Foundation plantings of shrubs would be incorrect for your house if you are aiming at accuracy. Otherwise, just do what makes you happy. In a town, they would have had a fenced-in dooryard with an ornamental garden--roses, perennials etc. On a farm, it would have been pretty casual in many cases, tho the fenced-in dooryard would look right with your period. Then a central path to the front door and geometric flower beds with collections of ornamentals. Herbs and other utilitarian plants would be in the kitchen garden in the back. But again, please yourself, not people who have been dead for 200 years.

2--You can never go wrong with lilacs in New England. A large clump of lilacs off the corner of your house would be nice--the old-fashioned Syringa vulgaris the settlers brought. Full sun and lots of air around them.

3--For shade on the side, if you really want shrubs, think of the natives that endure shade--mountain laurel and a few others. Look for species rather than cultivars for an authentic look. But remember, they didn't put shrubby foundation plantings next to houses in your period.

Good luck and keep us informed on your project.

• botann
    19 years ago

"But remember, they didn't put shrubby foundation plantings next to houses in your period."

They were to busy putting up ladders to work on the roof, window casings, and outside walls because of the lack of a roof overhang which permits rain to do damage. Same with Cape Cod houses. Think of all the work a good overhang would save. A lot less painting for one.

I'm glad I'm not tied to that short rope.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Lilacs, for sure. Meadowsweet, clethra, honeysuckle, germander (low subshrub), mock orange (I'm not sure if that was used in the 18th century, but definitely in 19th).

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Mock Orange was absolutiely used in the 18th C--Thomas J wrote about it. Also Chaste Tree (various Vitex) colonists brought it over--so well established some people think of it as native...and for flowers--don't forget the scented geraniums...I picked up one two summers ago at Monticello. Lime scented) Actually, the Monticello site might have lots of good suggestions. Thomas J was QUITE the gardener.

melanie

melanie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions