Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

New Gardener, Old Garden

vjrnts
18 years ago

We have bought a beautiful 1920 Colonial with a fairly extensive established garden. The bed is heavily planted with perennials, some of which I recognize and some of which I do not.

The garden is quite pretty, there is a large variety of blooming things, but it's overgrown and needs attention. The problem is that I don't know how to give it the attention it needs.

My previous experience with gardening has been some hostas, a couple of rose bushes, lilacs, annuals... the standard pretty-enough suburban landscaping. Now I have ferns and hostas, a poppy, some tall spiky pink things (think of delphiniums crossed with fox glove), a ton of forget-me-nots and a whole lot of other things. We haven't moved to the new property, there is work to be done on it, so I'm going over to water and pull up things that I know are undesireable, but golly!

I asked the former owner for a little guidance, and she said that she pulled up the forget-me-nots when they were finished blooming and had reseeded, and other than that, weed, weed, weed.

Hm.

I guess if I deadhead spent blooms and pull up the weeds I can identify I'll get through this first season while I see what comes up, but ... I feel lost!

What are your favorite picture books on perennials so that I can start maybe at least identifying what I have and making a rough diagram to get a handle on the situation? I'm in Western NY, Zone 6.

Comments (7)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

wow- finally, a new gardener who WANTS to start with ID'ing and making a floor plan!

:) you just made me very happy!

I wish I could recommend a book- but I don't have a favorite, my reference tome is a master gardener I do grunt labor for :)

however- I know that if you go to 'new to gardening' with pictures, we'll be able to ID half of them for you in an hour :)

weed, mulch, weed, mulch...

yup. sounds like a garden :)

• Alice Johannen
    18 years ago

I'm in the same situation, but 2 years out. It really does take this long to get to know all the plants, especially when they look so different just coming up in springtime.

I've become not quite ruthless, but more so that I originally thought I'd be. The overgrown-ness of it all overwhelms me, so I work on one spot at a time. I should show you before and after pics. It's pretty amazing what a spade, a shovel and a pair of loppers can do. :-)

Hang in there and, like the previous owner said, weed, weed, weed!

Alice

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Definitely restrict yourself to deadheading and pulling identifiable weeds. You might have some nice vintage peonies or something that is hard to replace.

Make a sketch of each befd and mark where plants are growing - take pictures so you can ID them later.

You can do some light pruning (dead, crossing, and overcrowded branches) in the shrubs and trees.

• SandL
    18 years ago

Favorite "picture" gardening book would be "Continuous Bloom" by Pam Duthie. This is by far the best book on perennials I have found. She also tells you what would look good with each perrenial. As for a good basic gardening book I'd get "Outdoor Gardening" by Smith and Hawken. I've just about worn that book out.

I'm in the same spot you are, but three years into redefining a garden bed. The best advice I could give is to make note (and take pictures) of your garden through the season. See what blooms, what colors you like, etc. Do this for about a year before deciding to plant anything. When you've observed the garden through all the seasons then start deciding what you want to take out and how you want to change the landscape a bit.
    For me, I devided up my garden into four major beds. While I smother the overgrown beds I'm planting the two that are ready. I've found that I don't get overwhelmed with how much work there is to do and I have more leisure to plan out the gardens I'm not presently working on.

Heather

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I recommend 'Armitage's Garden Perennials' by Alan Armitage. It has lots of color pictures for most of the basic perennials, and some not-so-usual ones. And some care instructions as well.

Another thought would be to hire a designer for a consultation. A designer should be able to id most if not all of the plant material, and tell you how to care for it during a walk-around.

• vjrnts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been weeding and watching, trying to kill off the things that I know are weeds and hoping for the best.

I like the idea of a designer for a consultation.

• swedish_miss
    18 years ago

I also recommend Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia - most of what you probably have will be in there, with a lot of color pictures to help you identify, as well as general info for each plant. Also, for once you figure out what you've got, Tracy DiSabato-Aust's 'Well-Tended Perennial Garden' (as many have recommended on gardenweb before me) has great, specific info on the care, treatment etc. of various species.

Have fun!