Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollystb

Suggestions needed for farmhouse ca. 1840

MollySTB
19 years ago

We have a small farmstead in Lorain County, Ohio that still has its original vernacular-style ca. 1840 house, post and beam barn and outbuildings. Up until yesterday the house was surrounded and overwhelmed by a huge yew hedge all the way around its perimeter. The hedge has come out; but what to replace it with?

I know that simple farmhouses like this didn't have "foundation plantings" per se, and it has a lovely quarried stone foundation, but it seems as though there should be something planted around or near at least part of it. I'm looking for ideas that are traditional but hopefully fairly low maintenance. The property already abounds in lilacs and fruit trees; the yard is surrounded by a very traditional (but messy) Osage Orange windbreak.

We are technically part of the Connecticut Western Reserve area in Ohio where New England styles tended to linger longer than they did in New England so what is applicable to an early 19th-century New England Greek Revival era home will probably look fine here too. The house is a white, two-story with the gable end facing the street and has a porch on the single-story ell. Your suggestions are appreciated, as are references to other gardens/houses to look at in this area of like vintage.

This is a wonderful forum; I've learned a great deal already just browsing past postings. Thank you all!

Cindy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions