Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions needed for farmhouse ca. 1840

Posted by MollySTB z5 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 04 at 11:07

We have a small farmstead in Lorain County, Ohio that still has its original vernacular-style ca. 1840 house, post and beam barn and outbuildings. Up until yesterday the house was surrounded and overwhelmed by a huge yew hedge all the way around its perimeter. The hedge has come out; but what to replace it with?

I know that simple farmhouses like this didn't have "foundation plantings" per se, and it has a lovely quarried stone foundation, but it seems as though there should be something planted around or near at least part of it. I'm looking for ideas that are traditional but hopefully fairly low maintenance. The property already abounds in lilacs and fruit trees; the yard is surrounded by a very traditional (but messy) Osage Orange windbreak.

We are technically part of the Connecticut Western Reserve area in Ohio where New England styles tended to linger longer than they did in New England so what is applicable to an early 19th-century New England Greek Revival era home will probably look fine here too. The house is a white, two-story with the gable end facing the street and has a porch on the single-story ell. Your suggestions are appreciated, as are references to other gardens/houses to look at in this area of like vintage.

This is a wonderful forum; I've learned a great deal already just browsing past postings. Thank you all!

Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions needed for farmhouse ca. 1840

There's a earlier post on this forum that refers to farmhouse gardens from your period. If you go through some of the early posts, you'll see recommendations for books that will give you some great info on period gardens.

My house is from 1837, though not a farmhouse, and there were some posts about it, as well.

If you do a search on this forum for "nineteenth century" you'll turn up some of those discussions, so I won't repeat the info here.

Let us know what you learn, and share your ideas and plans with us!
Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I just found this site and don't know how active postings are. I would love to hear how things turned out for the Molly and her 1840s house. I have just purchased an 1888 victorian farmhouse which we picked up turned 90degrees and sat down on a new foundation. I am just starting to plan a complete reno of the garden, as there is not much left to the original. It is in Lorain County, Ohio. The lot is 3/4 of an acre, long and narrow and at one narrow end borders a large lake. I don't really even know where to start with the planning so any help would be welcomed.

o

Gladioli, the date of each entry is listed with the moniker of the author.

o

sunflowers...those would be beautiful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here