Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

How would you handle the back of this garden?

alisande
19 years ago

We used to have a large (50x60) fenced vegetable garden, with a perennial and rose bed along one of the shorter sides, outside the fence. Both were neglected for years, and were soon covered in tall weeds.

I've made a lot of progress restoring the flower bed this year, mostly digging holes and laying down cardboard on top of the weeds, between plants. The fence that separated vegetables from flowers, and was a nice backdrop for the flower bed, is gone. So as it stands now the roses and perennials are backed by four-foot weeds. Obviously, this won't do.

I don't anticipate ever growing vegetables on that scale again. Nor do I relish the idea of eliminating 3,000 sq. ft. of weeds by myself. I could push over an area of weeds and do the cardboard thing with them, and it's possible I'll want to grow a few veggies there again, maybe next year. But I feel as though I need some sort of buffer between that area and the flower bed. Any ideas? Unfortunately, I'm not able to use ideas that cost a lot of money. :-)

Thanks very much!

Susan

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions