Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danish_cowgirl

Lovely Greek Revival house with kinda boring garden

danish_cowgirl
16 years ago

Hi everyone! This here's my first post and I'm quite excited about it.

In the college town where I live and go to school, there's a wonderful old house built for a former president in the 1840s-50s-ish. Here's the only picture I could find online (keep in mind that it's now pretty much in a forest):

http://omp.ohiolink.edu/OMP/Previews?oid=917986&count=4&results=10&fieldname=place&sort=title&searchstatus=1&hits=60&searchmark=0amp;searchstring=Hiram+%28Ohio%29&format=list&searchtype=kw

The garden in the back has a large squarish lawn with curved triangular beds at the corners and a round one in the middle, mostly filled with the hosta and coreopsis that the landscapers around here overuse far too much. There's a tall evergreen hedge with a "doorway" separating this area from another rectangular lawn in the back. It's got a nice shape overall but what they've done with it is very boring, and it isn't kept up well at all, unfortunately. That's as much of the garden as I've gotten to explore so far, and hopefully I'll be able to make updates.

There's a good possibility that I may be hired here to do both design and garden work, the job of my dreams (especially at my age, 21)! To make sure they know I really want the job, I've been trying to do some research on gardens for this era, and haven't really found too much. So on to my actual question:

Can anyone recommend resources - gardens to visit, websites or books to read, etc. - that give nice examples of the Greek Revival style? Visiting gardens should be in Ohio, preferably near the Cleveland area, but anything else can focus on just the style in general, and not specific zones or plants or anything.

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)