Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nightma

Posted by suestith zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 16:15

I have an old landscaping bed in front of the house I'm trying to rehab. I has black plastic sheeting, lava rock, and years of dirt and maple leaf accumulation. What is the best way to re-do a mess like this? There some ewe bushes which I want to keep for now and some stickery bushess I plan to eliminate. But this Fall i will be clearing parts of it and put in spring bulbs. Thanks for any feed back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nig

Get rid of the plastic! It didn't work, did it? Neither does the lava rock unless you are in the desert.
What part of the country do you live in and could you post a picture of the area you are redoing?
Mike

o

been there.. done that ...

i do not have a lot of money.. but i would find some.. and pay someone else to get rid of it... lol ...

otherwise its a lot of heavy hard work ... you just have to start.. and dont give up.. until its done ...

ken

o

As a landscaper I did a lot of yard makeovers. Plastic sheeting covered with mulch or rocks was usually the worst part of the job. One place I did had three layers of plastic with ground up bark over each layer. It didn't work the first time so they did it twice more. lol
You have to peel a bit of the plastic back a little at a time and shovel the rocks or mulch as you go. A square shovel or fork will catch on the plastic so don't use those. Even a round construction shovel will catch on the plastic if you're not careful. Use a rake in conjunction with a shovel. Flip the rake over so the teeth don't catch on the plastic.
Sheet plastic and 'Landscape cloth' are the two worst things you can use in garden construction. A temporary fix at best. People used to ask me why I didn't use plastic. "I see it used almost everywhere", they would say. I'd tell them that's another thing bad about plastic, you can't completely hide it for more than an hour or two. It looks cheap.
Like ken says, it's a lot of heavy hard work. It's harder getting rid of it than installing it. Get some teenage boys to do it. Or pay a landscaper three times as much to do it.
Mike...retired landscaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here