Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fernsk

Mary Garden

fernsk
19 years ago

Hi all. If anyone could give me some help I would appreciate it. I would like to plant a "Mary Garden" in front of my townhouse. Because of recent excavations to fix the water lines I have a clean slate. This is a space approximately 15 ft long by 3 to 4 feet wide - like a I say a clean slate. The area is in complete shade - northern exposure with some diffuse sun in the early morning and late evening. I've done some research on the web but some seems confusing to me. I would like to include some shrubs but don't know what would be appropriate. I have some Ferns and Lily of the Valley growing in the area since this spring when I transplanted them at the edge of the building. Any ideas for plantings?

Comments (4)

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

FernSK-
    After briefly googling "Mary garden", it seems that there is an abundance of material available on creating such a garden. Your dilemna will most likely be the fact that your garden is in shade and most of the plants with Mary reference are sun plants. However, in the 2 articles I looked at, impatiens, ferns, lily of the valley, violets, and forget-me-nots were listed, all of which would do pretty well in your shady site. Rhododendron was listed-- a shade shrub.

What is it that confuses you in your web research?

Ginger

• inkognito
    19 years ago

It is not new to use a garden to touch something outside ourselves. Give yourself time fern and it will fall into place, sensitivity is the key and it seems that you have that.

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Fern--found a good site that lists LOTS of flowers--many of which will grow in the shade. Will include a link to that page below--you'll want to scroll down six or seven paragraphs for the list and meanings. Violets are listed, along with Solomon's Seal...but there are many more to choose from. It makes for interesting reading!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers of the Madonna

• fernsk
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi all. Well my "Mary's Garden" is planted. Thanks for the link. Although I had seen it before it re-inforced some of my decisions. I guess the thing that had me confused was that depending on the website I visited several different plants had similar "names". In the end I decided to simply use those plants that were the most hardy to my Zone and those that were most readily available. In the end I planted my garden on Friday with 3 hostas [Blue Angel, Gold Standard and Regal Splendor] planted among Lady's Mantle, Anemonies, Ferns [because I always plant Ferns], primroses [in the sunniest spot], campanula, violas and a small area of ajuga [it looked like a beautiful blanket]. The hostas are a form of Lily and Blue angel fits my theme perfectly. I have room for 3 or 4 more hostas or awesome perenials in the future - a planted a few clumps of annuals as space holders. Thanks for your help

Fern

Sponsored
More Discussions