Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

Restoring interest

inkognito
19 years ago

With the first flush of spring we forget the barenness of winter and we clamour for more and now that we no longer need to bring in logs for warmth and we get lazy. We get so lazy that it seems as if summer is the time for slumber, for hibernation. Earnest people try to connect with us and we say manyana (?), another day. Strangely apposite is the fact that this is exactly why gardens need restoration when upkeep or regular attention is what is needed.

When ginger canvassed so heavily for this forum it was on the understanding that this too would need regular attention.

Sharon, a newcomer, has been studiously ignored by all.

Comments (14)

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

As has Fern in her question re a Mary garden.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Nice try, Tony.
    I am getting caught up now and have a bit of time to spend on the forums.
    G.

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

I just figured that everyone else is busy deadheading or fighting insects. I've recently taken on office temp work which tends to give me too much time sitting down with nothing to do but update my posts on GW. If I get any of my regular work I too may become negligent, so I have to be forgiving. But on the other hand maybe some of the deadheaders could use hedge clippers and speed it up a bit.
    :)
    Sharon

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Deadheads Sharon? Are we talking resurrection now and not restoration?

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

You couldn't resist the pun could you. LOL :) Considering that there only seems to be four people responding in this forum resurrection may be called for. But generally deadheading as a horticultural practice is a technique used to restore the blooming capabilities of plants, not end dormancy.

Sharon

• JillP
    19 years ago

If I don't have anything to contribute, I don't post. But I do pop in daily to check this site. Are you bored Tony? Trying to stir things up?

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

I contribute when I can, but I'm new to historic gardens myself, so I don't always feel I have much to offer.
    I've also started a couple of threads in an attempt to stir up some activity.
    I had hoped that we wouldn't lose the non-historic posters to other forums.
    Jo

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bored, yes Jill and a tad disappointed too. I don't expect a forum to be constantly hopping with new and bright ideas and topics for discussion but this particular forum has a potential that has hardly been tapped. I feel the same way about the writers forum so perhaps it is me, perhaps I should take up gardening as a hobby instead.

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

I visited the Writers Forum a few months ago and was very disappointed, so I don't think that it is just you Tony. Both Gertrude Jekyll and Frederick Law Olmsted were pushed towards careers in gardening by difficulties with there eyesight (you mentioned this problem in another thread). You would be in very good company if you took up gardening.

Sharon

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thankyou for your kindness sharon but I feel a bit of a phoney since I mislead with my cynicism. I am a second generation gardener and have been a designer/pretender for 22 years. I am also an intellectual which most of the time I have to apologise for.

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

Tony, I think I'm confusing you with someone who in an earlier thread said that they didn't have a garden, or didn't have one to restore. I have also been known to take comments too literally. So you are already in good historical company and what you actually meant is that you might go off and join the "deadheaders" if the forum doesn't start fulfilling its potential.

Sharon

• Marie Tulin
    19 years ago

Hello All,
    Sometimes I get confused about when and where a post shows up. I posted to thread that is not very active now (Where are the History Folks) and then I tried to cut and paste that to this thread....it is just a brief introduction to me. Now I don't see it. In any case, if it never shows up here, mine is the last post in the aforementioned thread and my is web name "Idabean" ( my dumb beagle's nickname) or just "marie"

• mjsee
    19 years ago

TONY! I wasn't intentionally negelecting any one--I've just been at the BEACH--computerless. And now I'm researching how to get week-old (or more) dried egg off my house. It's not looking good...and I know some young men who are on my s#i! list. sigh. I''l try and keep up!

melanie

• inkognito
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm just going to let it go. I shall look in and contribute on anyone else's concerns but I am all out of rallying cries. My head is dead.

Sponsored
More Discussions