Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic mesh below soil surface - why???

Posted by eryngium 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 20:29

The backyard of our new dwelling (a 1910 duplex) apparently hasn't been touched in at least 10 years. No plants, very few weeds, a large plum tree trunk with no limbs standing in the middle like a Dryad de Milo.

Anyway, I've got the soil amendments and the design/plant inventory worked out. What is perplexing to me is the layer of plastic mesh that exists under the first 1/2" to 1" of the soil. The strips are light blue in color and about 10' long and 1' wide; the holes in the mesh are about 2" square. In some areas I've been able to pull it right out of the ground in long strips. I'm going to have to gently rake and pull the rest out over the next couple of weeks.

Might anyone know what this stuff is and why it's there? It doesn't seem likely that it's a hazardous soil indicator, so perhaps it was a misguided attempt at erosion control?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic mesh below soil surface - why???

Hi,
My guess is erosion control.
A neighbor had a new lawn put in and the grass seed was put down under a light blanket of straw held together by a light green plastic mesh. Supposedly the grass grows up through the mesh and covers it, never to be seen again, but in spots where the lawn has been dug up there are all these frayed edges coming up out of the ground.
It's beyond me as to who thought this would be a good idea.

o
RE: Plastic mesh below soil surface - why???

The sod lawn that was laid at my new home has the plastic mesh built into the rolled sod. Perhaps there was once a lush sod lawn?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here