Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1907 house

Posted by doglady_gardener #4, Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 3:40

I'd like to plant the front of my 1907 house with plants they might have used back then. Any ideas or where I could find some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1907 house

Although your house missed the Victorian Era by a tad - 1837-1901, I suspect plants beloved by the Victorians were still very much in wide use: Azalea, Holly, Hydrangea, Rose, Lilac, Forsythia, Andromeda, Barberry, Peony and Quince. Vines might include Clematis, Ivy, Wisteria, Morning Glory, and Honeysuckle.

Commonly planted perennials and annuals include: Delphinium, Aster, Alyssum, Chrysanthemum, Tulip, Pansy, Violet, Lavender, Daylily, Hosta and Yarrow. Fern collecting was popular. The Victorians liked to ornament their gardens with garden props that might include urns, statues, sculptures, gazing balls, birdbaths, sundials, benches, and ornate wrought iron fencing.

Edwardian (1901-10) style of gardening:
Edwardians sought a rural idyll to capture the romance of the countryside within the confines of the growing urban and suburban landscape. It was a period of prosperity and this was reflected in the exuberant gardening styles. Informal planting schemes were mixed with formal, structured landscaping. This included herbaceous borders with drifts of color, a la Gertrude Jekyll, and informal woodland planting schemes using native and exotic plants.

Bedding plants were avoided while pergolas, paths and garden buildings were highly desirable. Gardens would often have formal ponds with sunken gardens. The Arts and Crafts movement had an aversion to mass-produced products and gardens in this style would use locally crafted garden features, ornaments and materials.

The internet has a wealth of information on gardening and the desired types of plants during these time periods. Much would be easily available today - perhaps not the exact variety as the tendency is to produce "new and improved", but definitely in the spirit of...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here