Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_gw

Gardens 1900-1940

Josh
18 years ago

I enjoy reading here on this forum and also books on garden history, and ran across a book I thought might be of interest to you fortunate owners of older homes.

'The Once & Future Gardener'...subtitled Garden Writing from Golden Age of Magazines 1900-1940
edited by Virginia Tuttle Clayton

Rather than a book summarizing the garden designs and plants popular 100 years ago, these are the very magazine articles (with great illustrations) which our ancestors read just as we today devour the latest Horticulture or Fine Gardening. If you love old garden books, you'll find some favorite authors here too.

I'm really enjoying it...so many of our same concerns and interests: "Trees & Shrubs for Blended Borders", "Concerning Walls & Hedges", Planting A Slope", "How to Meet Drought", and "Grandmothers Garden" (which I loved!) And "Tying Together House & Garden"...that subject is still around for sure! These are just a sampling of more than 50 articles.

Anyway, thought I'd mention the book. Best of all it is on sale, published at $40, it's now just $8. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Daedalus Books

Sponsored
More Discussions