Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smothering

Posted by MrTurkle Connecticut (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:56

Hey guys - usual deal here: first time home owner, new to gardening, etc - we have a small, circular belgian-block enclosed garden in our front yard that has been totally over run with weeds. I pulled out the large weeds and got as much of the roots as possible. There are a lot of small weeds still left and some old mulch in there. I read about "smothering" on this site with newspaper and mulch and would like to go in that direction - should I till the soil to tear up the small weeds I can't get by the roots? Or just cover them up and wait 6 weeks for it all to die? Should we spray it with an chemical first? We will likely plant a tree out there and maybe some small bushes around it. Any advice you can give would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smothering

Since you still are not certain of what you want to do, the big thing is eliminating the weeds. Pulling by the roots is a big part of the chore, but more will come back (it is one of nature's fun things).

Many weeds go to seed real quick and will spread their seeds that you might not see for several years. Chemicals, burning, smothering: any or all might not get them all. Once you till, some seeds that were deeper will be brought up and they will haunt you. Welcome to gardening!

Most practical option is that newspapers and cardboard are great for eliminating light and maybe creating lots of heat this time of year. Spread either and then toss something on top to keep them from going away. A light layer of mulch or a little soil, whichever you have handy.

In the spring, after you have decided what to do with that space, the soil should have been loosened naturally and ready for whatever you have decided. After you plant, then you should put down your permanent mulch.

Jim

o
RE: Smothering

There's some info about an almost identical situation here. Do these inputs help you feel like you know what you can do about it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here