Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkw7aj

can I share a small victory?

jkw7aj
19 years ago

When I moved into my current place, it was completely overrun with weeds. I've been weeding *continuously* for 4 years, sometimes with absolutely no hope for the future. Realizing that you're pulling what seems like the exact same weed for from the exact same spot for the umpteenth time that year, then seeing more and more that you swear came out of nowhere overnight is an incredibly depressing form of deja vu, I know. I felt like a garden Sisyphus. There have been days when I refused to walk out the front door because I couldn't look at it anymore, couldn't deal with it.

And on top of that, the former occupant tried her best to improve the place with some minimal plantings, but there was no rhyme or reason, and quite a lot of chaos, so even when the weeds were yanked, the landscape wasn't worth looking at.

Now, in my 4th year, I've suddenly realized (after concentrating the majority of my efforts on the front yard alone for the past 2 years) that the front yard is now almost completely weed free, and the ones that do come up are few and far between. If anyone had told me 4 years ago that there was a hump to get past, after which it would be simple maintenance, there's no way I would have believed them. I go out maybe once a week, usually every other week, breeze through with a bucket in one hand and a tool in the other. Five minutes of perusing and plucking and I'm good for another week or so. Amazing! I'm so relieved I could almost cry.

In addition, in February, the yard was weed-free long enough that I was able to speand a month digging and transplanting to bring some order and cohesion to the front. Now, the original plants are all still here, but they're grouped, and the empty areas are ready for additions. I'm at a natural pause point, I no longer feel harried and overburdened. My efforts have finally paid off!

So, end of chapter one. Chapter 2 begins: the sidyard, having been completely abandoned for many years, is completely overrun with weeds, and the original plantings are haphazard and unappealing... [sigh] Oh well. It's a process, right? Still, I'm loving the front yard. Just wanted to share.

Comments (8)

• mjsee
    19 years ago

Four years and the front yard is almost weed free? BRAGGART. I'm on summer number eight--and teh microstegium is winning.

But good for you!

melanie

• egyptianonion
    19 years ago

That's wonderful! Congratulations!

Do you take pictures? I'd love to see them.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Congratulations! I'm 2.5 years in, and still struggling. You've given me renewed hope.
    Jo

• jkw7aj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll post pictures after it stops raining.

Hang in there Jo!

• JillP
    19 years ago

Whoo whoo! Wonderful!

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Where would we be without the small pleasures in life - a job well done - the payoff to persistance. Here you will find people to celebrate with you who know just what you are talking about . . . do you have any before/during/after photos to post?
    Ginger

• jkw7aj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

ginger_nh, I'm almost positive I don't have any before or during photos of the front yard, but I can take current photos of the side yard so everyone can get an idea what the front yard looked like before. I'll take some nice after photos of the front, but it will have to wait until Sunday. Check back here Sunday night!

• gayle0000
    19 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm sooo proud of you and your acomplishments. I understand the hard work and dedication you've gone through. That wonderful feeling of hard work and finally seeing progress and success is amazing! People who come visit and comment on the lawn are the BEST! Good for you!

I too have made leaps and bounds with our lawn, and as time goes by and I make improvements in other parts of the landscaping, I keep admiring the grass. It was where everything started for me. I can relate to your story 100%. I'm gonna share my story too...

We've lived here for 3 years. The grass had lots of weeds (doesn't sound as bad as yours does). Former owners used Chemlawn, and mowed in the same pattern every time...you could tell by the deep ruts in the lawn and the uncomfortable mowing...literally bouncing over the ruts...you know the deal. They scalped their lawn...you could tell by the bare soil patches in certain high spots & sidewalk edges.

First year, all I worked on was the grass. Didn't touch the landscaped areas or other plants. I dethatched everything by hand. I dug the weeds by hand. I worked on it every day...whether I spent 2 hours or 10 minutes...I dug weeds. Then we had devastating grubs that first year too...I'm honestly saying devastating...not just "some" damage. The first fall, I seeded with pure Kentucky Bluegrass, and overseeded what was not taken by the grubs.

Our neighbors called me the dandelion lady. They would talk about me. They would comment to me about me always being in the yard...to the point it was annoying.

Second year, weeds were very minimal. This third year, I do a weed walk maybe about once a week...or just right before I mow. Takes maybe 10 minutes, and I hardly ever have weeds. That KBG is the best grass! KBG takes a long time to germinate, and is slow to get established in...a full year. Once it's in...it's great! The best grass to have. I've added KBG seed to the turf for 2 years now, and it's made a hge difference. You can see the quality of the grass in the areas I've concentrated on most.

For the ruts, I have completely removed the Former Owners's mowing pattern from my rotation, and change up my pattern every time I mow. This 3rd year, I can honestly say mowing is a smooth ride now.

I'm so proud. Neighbors & friends have noticed. Comments on the grass are more satisfying to me than any of the other landscape work I've done.

Thanks for listening!
    Gayle

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?