Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjande

New Gardener overwhelmed by invasion, weeds, work

mrsjande
14 years ago

I bought a house and it's in a sad state even with the 40+ hours I've put in outside. Lawn to bed border doesn't keep out invading crabgrass and other weeds. Have already pulled everything once and they came back. Clay soil, weedy lawn, established plants are poorly placed. Where do I start and what do I do?

http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=gar5.jpg

Comments (2)

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

This forum is sadly inactive. You might do better posting on one of the regional forums encompassing your zone 9, or on the Perennials or Organic Lawn Care forums for dealing with specifics.

Looking at your pictures, any restoration might involve a compete gut and re-do job. First thing I'd decide is if there is anything worth saving; and if there is, how can it be separated out from all that is not? Those yellow/orange daylilies might be the dreaded "ditch lilies" which are extremely invasive with a murderous root system. Regardless of how much digging you do they always seem to return. Seems to be a gladiolus or two - but they're inexpensive. Beyond that, I can't tell. I'd get in there with a sharp shovel, pry up everything possible, shake off the dirt and discard. Or, get up what you can and use Round Up on the rest - safe and effective if used according to the label instructions; and it works on the plant material, does not linger in or on your soil.

The best defense against a weedy lawn is a healthy lawn - a topdress of compost or a spring and fall treatment with alfalfa meal pellets (available at feed + grain type places, maybe $11 for a 50# bag) helps strengthen and fill in existing grass, crowding out weeds. Or, alternately, a weedy lawn is often quite green and passable looking if kept mowed.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Although I'm in zone 4, I have clay soil, hot summers and invasive weeds/grasses too. My suggestion would be to pick one area and make it beautiful. Pick out a place with some afternoon shade (if possible) and make a little sanctuary that is yours.

Don't worry about the rest for now (round-up might be your only solution) or ripping everything out and weedwhacking/mowing what's left. As long as you can keep chaos under control for awhile, do the minimum possible, so you aren't overwhelmed.

Focus on one small space and find an edger that will work against the quack grass and plant this area for you. Fragrant plants, roses, vegetables, shrubs, herbs, whatever you like and whatever your style is, start small and enjoy it.

As you get that area completed, you can decide if you want to try another space, or go with a lower maintenance area (shrubs and grass). I think gardening is much more enjoyable if you have areas to sit and relax, in the shade, and enjoy what you have accomplished. I love gardening, but I have a long winter to recover every year :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions