Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

Watergarden historically appropriate?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, so excuse me if I sound a bit ignorant :)

I am purchasing my first home- an 1880 Victorian in a southern suburb town (of the twin cities) in MN. The home has a lovely, good sized corner lot yard, about 1/2 an acre.

There are some gorgeous mature trees (3 black walnuts, a maple and an oak), with many flower beds along the house-all of which are overgrown and need some love. Many of the plants are older- It's hard for me tell if they are original to the home or not, but I do have many peonies, poppies, lillies, day lillies, fern, and some overgrown lilacs.

Much of the historical elements of the home have been stripped (no external millwork, the porch has been screened in, vinyl siding, etc), and we are trying to give the grounds and home back a more historical feel.

I would love to have add a watergarden to our yard. While I'm sure that not many families would have had them, I was hoping that perhaps a gemometrically laid out watergarden might be appropriate... I do know from the research I've done that the hybridizing of water lillies began about the time my home was built.

I would also like to plant some fruit- apple tress (far, far away from those walnut trees, I know!) blueberries, raspberries, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's very difficult for me to figure out exactly what style my home is- I know it was built in 1880, and has a gabled roofline. The home itself is a two story square shape, with 2 large bay windows one on the west, and one on the east side of the house. Since no millwork remains, I'm having some trouble with identification.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Templeflower :)

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

I lived in an 1890s area and several of the houses had their original fountains or ponds, formal or informal.

Do whatever fits with the rest of the gardens.

• Fori
    18 years ago

I suspect that even though the period for watergardens is correct, it may not be not historically appropriate for your LOCATION (a tad cold there) but nobody will fault you for doing a proper Victorian watergarden. It will be perfect for recreating a formal historic feel even if it's not entirely correct (and it may well be--I'm no scholar on the topic!). It is also a perfect excuse to put in a gothic arched greenhouse--you have to overwinter those tropical lilies somewhere you know!

Make it big enoough to house _Victoria_ spp. lilies! Then everyone will think you're a perfectly eccentric Victorian! (OK I know that's silly...silly plant, but very Victorian...)

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses! That's a great idea, with the victoria waterlily! Right up my alley! I'd love to put in a greenhouse, but it'll probably have to wait- althopugh I think a small conservatory off of the house would be gorgeous- a place for plants and breakfast!

Any ideas where I could look for period watergarden designs?
    I do have a brick planter that is being used for annual plantings right now- I might be able to convert that, but there could be structural issues with the strength of the mortar vs water pressure. thanks so much for all the help!

• ginny12
    18 years ago

There is a wonderful book called Minnesota Gardens by Susan Davis Price which you should definitely get. It is a well done history of gardens in MN. I live in MA and bought it, just because it is so full of information for anyone interested in American garden history. Lots of photos. Much has been done on MN garden history so your answers are out there. But I don't think you should plan on the Victoria regia waterlily. The lilypads are at least six feet in diameter and would require an enormous outlay of space and $$$. They were indeed one of the wonders of the era for the very rich horticulturist.

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the book recommendation! I'm sure it will come in very handy! I think a 6' diameter water lily is a little out of my space abilities at the moment! Ah well- it was a nice thought... I'll be on the lookout for other historical varieties instead!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler