Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabelle_gw

Gardens for a 1930s Southern farmhouse

Lorabelle
19 years ago

Hi all -

We recently purchased a 1930s Southern farmhouse and 10 acres of land that were part of the original homestead. Right now I have two 7 Sisters rosebushes on either side of the walk leading to the front porch and an enormous sweetshrub on one side of the house. There are a few odd shrubs here and there, but this was primarily a bachelor's home so pretty flowers weren't exactly a priority. I know I am going to have to take my time and maybe do one area at a time, i.e.. the front yard, side yards, etc., so right now I want to concentrate on the front yard leading up to the porch. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and would love some input.

Comments (6)

• Twinkle
    19 years ago

Good old-fashioned southern plants - azaleas for spring, camellias for fall, gardenias for summer. Hydrangeas with blue flowers (not pink). Pink crape myrtles. Lady Banks rose.

Daffodils which do well in the South - plant in October: Ice Follies and King Alfred. Forsythia to bloom just before the daffodils.

Take it slow...you might want to wait until spring and see what blooms. You may already have some of what I listed above.

• Lorabelle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Twinkle -

I have a friend who will be giving me starts of hydrangea and crepe myrtle to plant later this Fall. I have some iris scattered hither and yon and I was wondering if I would have some daffodils come up as well. I would like to eventually naturalize with daffodils in some areas of the "farm."

• momcat2000
    19 years ago

i read a book called "pass along plants" and i think the author was based in the south. it is about plants that are passed from person to person, shared garden plants, and what our granmother's used to swap with each other (plants, that is....) it was a fun read

• mjsee
    19 years ago

"Passalong Plants" by Felder Rushing and Steve Bender will be invaluable to you! I've included a link for bn.com.

It's HUGE fun to read....and most of the plants listed are appropriate to your home.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Passalong Plants

• josephine_sc
    19 years ago

This is the answer I gave to another post but it fits yours better. The house in question is in Ware Shoals, SC.

"My grandmother's house was about that vintage. (1880's) I can remember what was there when I was a child in the 50's that had probably been there for ages. She two very dwarf cherry trees, a couple of dwarf plums, coreopsis (the plain tall yellow king) canna lilies - Orange (Wyoming I think), red spider lilies, daylilies (of the ditch lily persuasion) a once blooming pale pink running polyantha rose my mother planted as a girl in 1930, iris - she called them "flags"-narcisus - (Avalanche), grape hyacinths (blue bottles)
    blue morning glories, raspberry colored crepe myrtles, celosia she called prince's feather,and bachelor buttons she called ragged robins and lantana."

• Fori
    19 years ago

If you don't have a few pecan trees somewhere on the property, you'd better find a place for them!

I'm curious if anyone knows what period mimosas were common. My 30s era house in Texas had some and driving through the boonies the right time of year, you could always spot an abandoned homestead by the pink flowers. I don't know if those were ever common in Atlantic regions, though. I kind of like them.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions