Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

1920s Gardens...part two

lavender_lass
13 years ago

The first 1920's gardens is such a long thread, I thought I'd ask a question on a new post. Does anyone have any pictures of their gardens?

I'm working on a garden that happens to look quite a bit like the Indian Hill garden with the pergola and the sundial. Any suggestions of what flowers were used in this garden? I'm doing more research online, but would love to see any pictures or get any suggestions from people on this forum. Thank you :)

Comments (5)

• Annie
    13 years ago

Hello Darh-ling!

Thank you so much for this.
    So happy you brought this to our attention. This is where I started with my garden when I first bought my place, but didn't get very far. It evolved into a cottage garden, but I really wanted my gardens to be period gardens for my 1930 Bungalow.

I couldn't get any of the links on the other topic to work for me.

I've found a couple or old books from that period, but didn't offer much. One is an old 1920s Rose Gardening book years back. It is chocked full of great stuff, but not what I really needed in terms of restorative ideas. And blah! It was all in black and white. A rose book in black and white? Good grief!

I look for ideas in period movie sets...if I'm watching a movie and see a bungalow garden of interest, I stop the film and back it up to study it. :)

Even though I live in Oklahoma now, I am seeking the 1920-1930s Bungalow - Arts and Crafts style gardens so popular in Southern California in my Grannie's day. That was the style I grew up seeing in her gardens and her siblings gardens even into the 50 & 60s.

Thanks so much. I didn't realize this forum was on the GW. I just didn't realize what it was, I guess.
    I wonder if there might be some old Sunset Gardening Magazines for that period? Hmmmm. Was it even in publication that far back I wonder?

~Annie

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie- I don't know if you noticed, but the last post on this forum's gallery has some pictures from an old book of 1920s gardens.

I didn't even know there was a 1920s garden style. This is really neat. I'm still looking around on the Internet, but it seems to be a lot of arbors, pergolas, and trellises (love those) with vines and roses, etc. Also lots of gardens have a round bed, with a sundial, birdbath or fountain, as kind of a relief to all the linear edges. Most of the gardens are surrounded by shrubs (boxwoods, evergreens, etc.) setting them off from the rest of the yard.

It sounds like the garden you're working on recreating has a lot of happy memories for you. I hope you get some good ideas from some of the articles and books that have already been recommended on the cottage forum. I'm going to check the library next week. We have a lot of Inter Library Loan available, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find some of the books :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my kitchen garden, which I think looks kind of like the 1920s gardens. My husband took this yesterday, as the sun was going behind the hill. I like the effect...and it makes the weeds look better. At least you can see the overall layout of the garden :)

{{gwi:43727}}

• nandina
    13 years ago

You want pictures? Try this Smithsonian treasure which was posted on the Design Forum last year. It will take you a week to comb through this site. Most gardens shown are from the 20's and 30's.

http://forums2gardenweb.com/load/design/msg100914126127

• sparkleclown
    13 years ago

I work at the Webb-Deane-Stevens museum in Wethersfield CT where we have a beautiful Colonial Revival garden designed in the early 1920's Here is a link to the museum web site's information on the garden. There is also a link to a photobucket site with many pictures of the garden. Enjoy!

Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum-
    http://webb-deane-stevens.org/garden_and_grounds.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Webb House Gardens

Sponsored
More Discussions