Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asak9

prep for next yrs veg. garden

asak9
15 years ago

Hello, does it make sense to till in my compost now for planting next spring? The soil is very poor and I want to spread it and till it in then cover it with straw or should I wait until spring and do it then?

Comments (3)

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Due to the lack of activity here, you might get better immediate help on the Soil, Mulch & Compost forum. Seems your inquiry is better suited for them to answer.

• sowngrow (8a)
    15 years ago

Now is a great time to add compost to your garden.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

OT for this forum, but it all depends on location and what zone you are in, but your page is left practically empty with no further info on your location. Where is your garden located? State and what part of state? Coastal? Soil type? Etc. Also, your post headings dont show your state and zone abbreviated, which is what most members look for here to help answer q's faster (have a look at other posts and you will get the idea). We need this vital info if we are to answer your q's. Please update your member page, it's quick and simple from the homepage (scroll to the bottom and click Member Pages, sign in and fill in your paragraph). OK. No problem. I can only answer you from my own climate's viewpoint. Amend your soil immediately if the weather is tolerable. It is never too soon to amend your soil unless it is muddy which makes it impossible. There are seeds we can all sow right NOW in January regardless of location that need cold treatment, but that's another subject regarding stratification; you can read all about it, just do a search of this site for stratification. Early Spring crops and flowers can be sown now and the list is too long to list here. You can go to the Growing From Seed forum for that. It's never too soon to start new beds b/c soil needs time to begin digesting any organic matter you add to it. I have amended my soil 5 times here in zone 7 NC in 5 years and it's never enough. So get a headstart as long as the soil isnt too wet. Mud cant be worked with. Excellent question. Enjoyed it. I always sow annual Poppies in January. They look like Peonies! If you want seeds, I would be happy to send you some, along with others you can and should sow now. But then, you probably arent ready. Well, maybe next year. Let us know with a followup.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions