Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyan100

Need help please

eyan100
18 years ago

I need help preparing the soil (which is clay) and get it ready for planting (flowers and shrubs. So far, the only thing I did is used round up to kill the grass. The size on the area I am talking about is 3 feet by 12 feet on each side of the house. I wanted to prepare the soil and start planting it this fall and next spring. Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I think there is a Soil forum and I bet they could give you the best advice there, unless someone speaks up soon. Hate to keep you waiting as the season moves on. My soil is pure sand so I can't help. Good luck with your garden!

• HomeMaker
    18 years ago

So you need to start making beds - do it the easy way. Don't dig any more than you have to, just start collecting newspapers (some people also use cardboard). Same principle, I just have no personal experience with it.
    Mow the grass within an inch of it's life if there's any left.
    Work in small areas so you can see some progress but don't get too overwhelmed.
    Layer newspapers 8-10 pages thick. Add any good soil you have on hand or the bagged stuff, as much composted manure (or the fresh stuff, but in smaller quantities) you can get your hands on. Move on to the next area, more newspapers, more soil, and so on. If you have access to shredded paper, that's good too. Just make sure that you water the newspapers to keep them from blowing around as you work.
    Voila! you have a bed. Just keep expanding it as you have energy. Water it even if it's empty. That helps the newspapers break down. Oh, and any earthworms you come across should be introduced to this new bed, so they can get to work.

The newspapers will compost away in about a year and when well watered, are easy to poke through to plant right away.

Provided you are not using fresh manure, you can plant right away. Just stab a trowel into the spot you want to plant. It will go through a well watered pile of newspapers quite easily.

Lasagna beds are good things.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

The lasagna method works, and is a real back-saver, but takes time for the natural action of earthworms and soil micro-organisms to do the work for you.

If you want to improve the structure of your soil more quickly, you'll have to incorporate as much organic matter as you can get your hands on. Compost can be purchased in bulk and is more cost effective if you have a truck to pick it up with. To add about 4 inches to your two areas would take about 1 cubic yard, which costs about $27 in my area if I pick it up. You can also used the bagged stuff, compost, composted manure, humus.

Till it in or turn it with a fork or spade to a depth of 1 foot. Afterwards, mulch your beds with an organic mulch, which will break down slowly and continue to improve your soil.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions