Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing sod

Posted by thf12 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 19:02

I'm putting in new sod and was wondering if the old sod has to be removed with a sod cutter or can I rotter til. Old sod is completly dead!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing sod

While any posting on this forum is appreciated, we just don't get mush activity. You'll get more info on the lawn forum.

My answer to your question is: Why did the lawn die? I think you would be better off to rent the sod cutter and remove the dead stuff. Then you can work in some rich compost, really till it in so you can break up the compacted soil and get the benefit of added nutrients. Plus, rent the sod roller and get the soil good and level before you seed or add new sod. Just laying over the existing dead stuff might make for a bumpy new lawn.

o

the real question, I'd say, is why sod?

there are places where turf grasses do just fine - most of them are technically in Oregon, unfortunately.

if you're going to insist on sod - cut it out, prep the soil, install underground irrigation, and a covered cachebasin, and then resod.

your other options are tedious, frustrating, and even more expensive.

o

What is the best way to remove old sod? The netting is tough. I want to put down seed for a new lawn.

o

on any plot bigger than a picinic table? I'd rent a sod cutter. otherwise, you take an edger or a trenching spade (which has a flat edge) cut through the root matt in strips, and 'scalp' the yard by wedging the edger under the root mat, and one person peels the clump away while the other person prys from underneath.

honestly? you're almost better treating the lawn with a pre-emergent weed control (corn gluten meal, for example) and then raking and seeding the bald spots - removing sod is high on my list of 'jobs I'd rather work in fast food than perform'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here